Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I got in...so, now what?

profile427profile427 Alum Member
in General 213 karma
Hi All,

I'm happy to report that I received an email on Friday that I was accepted to one of the schools to which I applied. I'm waiting to hear on another, and I'm considering applying to another one or two.

I decided to go the mental check-out route after submitting my apps, meaning that I didn't allow myself to think much about it or obsess over receiving an answer. The good news is that it only took about 10 business days for my first answer.

That being said, this is where I feel like sh*t gets real. I have to look at the annual sticker price of ~$44k in the face and decide how I'm going to figure this out. I'm at a point where I feel like it's not worth doing this, unless I cover at least half or two-thirds of tuition with scholarships and fellowships. I've already paid (cash or fed loans) nearly $100k for my bachelor's and master's (yay for free community college associate's).

I'm in the process of submitting for a health fellowship (which was the meat of my personal statement), as well as other internal/external scholarships.

What are your thoughts on deciding whether or not to go at all, once accepted? The point of going to law school for me is to
a) prepare for a career that I feel better suits me intellectually and
b) alter my career trajectory in healthcare (I've been in allied health for almost a decade now, and would prefer to be on the other side, fixing a rather broken system which affects my patients, and me, as a clinician).

Any thoughts appreciated. I didn't get into HYS, and nor do I think that it's necessary for my career goals at this point. The schools to which I'm applying rank better than whatever #85 is right now.

Comments

• brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Use myLSN to get at least an idea of where you stand with scholarship money or post your stats (GPA and LSAT) so we can help.

Are you above median? Above their 75th percentile?

I would not recommend that anyone pay sticker.
  • profile427profile427 Alum Member
    213 karma
    Thanks. My GPA is 3.8 (median 3.34, 2015 entering). LSAT was 25th percentile, 2015 entering.

So, I guess that I'm a low-high splitter since LSAT is "more important"...myLSN says that I'd be 100% in the "top 10%," though.

I didn't pay sticker for my BS or MA, so I'd do just the same for a JD. I don't really think that I'd feel any differently if we were talking T14, either. But all the TLS posts and comments from elsewhere seem to make it sound like I'm completely wasting my time and money by not shooting for T14. Doesn't make me feel any more confident in the matter, that's for sure.
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    Check and see if you need to complete the fasfa or need access form. If you do many schools have due dates of tonight at 11:59pm
    edited February 2016 213 karma
    I do need to complete the FAFSA. One of my several employers hasn't released my W2, so I guess that I'll have to estimate my AGI without it. The schools to which I've applied have a deadline of March 15th.
    213 karma
    Plus, I thought that the FAFSA just determines how much Stafford or PLUS I get. That's what I want to avoid, where possible. I've been out of grad school since 2008, though, so I may be remembering incorrectly.
  • UsernameChangeUsernameChange Free Trial Member
    edited February 2016 349 karma
    I frequent TLS and although a lot of them have a "t-14 or bust" mentality that is over the top, I don't think they are far off in their thinking. Paying 44k a year to go anywhere other than a t14 is a bad decision for most people. Ultimately you have to decide if it is a decision you are ok with. You are going to miss out on 3 years of work and come out with 150k in debt. With a 3.8 GPA there is absolutely no reason you aren't going to a school on a full scholarship other than the fact that you haven't retaken the lsat yet.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    First of all dont freak out and dont make a decision until you have all your answers... I know the feeling, got multiple answers and only waiting on 2 which is killer, but those 2 could knock out my current thoughts so gotta wait.
    did the school which accepted you give you scholly info yet? if not relax! and wait for it. If yes and the answer is 0/not enough... RELAX, you're still waiting on other schools, anything can happen. This is getting real, you just gotta decide if you really want to go this route, then pick your school when you have all your info. If there are schools you would go to but haven't applied, go for it and apply, just know it means most likely stalling making an official decision (not all schools respond quickly as you know)
    213 karma
    Thanks for the responses! I was literally email-accepted on Friday. No paper packet in hand, yet. It's coming "within the month."

It's a huge decision to make at the ripe age of going-on 32 (add that as a woman I haven't procreated yet), and so the decision-making process now feels a little more urgent. (Would it have been better to get rejected? I dunno.)

I'm planning to apply to a higher ranking school, but not T14. I'm just waiting to hear back on clearance from HR that my second recommender can actually write a letter (eyeroll). Even though I scored 5 points higher on my second LSAT after a two years' break from the first, I don't envision earning a 170, let alone 160 (close, but no cigar). Did I settle? Maybe. With each LSAT registration, I get older.

Paying sticker is an absolute no-go for me, even if it were T14. I've been gainfully employed since the crash, thanks in part to my career choice, but paying back my MA at NU has been soul-crushing.

Thanks for listening. :)
    213 karma
    Wow, so HR blocked my previous boss from writing me a letter. I'm at the end of my rope for a fellowship and/or admission to a higher ranking school because of this. Gotta love professional life...