Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I take the February LSAT?

Grey WardenGrey Warden Alum Member
edited February 2016 in General 813 karma
Hey guys
I am registered for the Feb LSAT, it is taking place on 28th Feb in Asia. I have been studying for the test on and off for the past 6 months while I somehow juggled my seven day workweek of over 80 hours, it wasn't really "preparation". One month ago I took leave from work to study for the LSAT full time, I had completed the curriculum earlier so just went through some lessons again as a refresher. I have taken 6 prep tests (mix of pts in 40s, 50s and one from 70s) and I am averaging at 160 actual and a br score between 170-175(br-ing only the circled ones as recommended on 7sage) . I want to ideally score around 168 plus to have a chance at getting some scholarship at a decent law school and I am willing to put in the work and time, however, I was wondering if I should still take the LSAT to get a feel of it. I know I will not score in my target range if I take the test in Feb. In my limited knowledge most law schools consider only the highest LSAT score and having an experience of taking the test could only benefit. Or should I aim at nailing the June LSAT and take it when I am atleast feeling ready. Right now it is like I know I am not ready but I am registered so may be I should get the experience of writing the real exam but at the same time I am wondering if it will be waste of a take. This community has been super helpful and I will appreciate any thoughts and advice on this.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    I was in a similar situation. I was working too much, then took about the last month before my test date off to really study, and wasn’t really scoring quite where I wanted. I had the same debate. I went ahead and took it, and I regret it. You only get three shots, and if you’re simulating test conditions appropriately, there really isn’t much different about the real thing to get a feel for. Your odds of getting your target score are really low, so what happens if for whatever reason you don’t do well in June? Now you’ve only got one shot left. That’s exactly the situation I’m finding myself in now and I really wish I had back that first test I knew I wasn’t ready for. Waiting for June gives you October and December to fall back on if you need. You definitely don’t want to need that December test, but better to have it and not need it that need it and not have it.
  • Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    Don't waste a take! I get the whole concern about wanting to get a feel of the real exam before you're 100% ready, but each take is precious. Don't take the test until your PTs are in the range you would be happy scoring. That way, if some unforeseen disaster happens during the real thing, you'll have two more administrations to fall back on. Aim for June with October and December as back-ups.
  • Grey WardenGrey Warden Alum Member
    813 karma
    @JHAldy10 and @Micaela_OVO thank you so much for your response. I am already feeling a little relieved now that I see some clarity in making my decision. I think I will withdraw, my gut feeling is I should not take it and I needed some advice from others to assure myself. My friends were trying to persuade me to take it and get it over with but I don't just want to "get it over with" but to do well. I concur with you guys when you say that a take is too precious to waste in order to get a 'feel'.
    @JHAldy10
    "You definitely don’t want to need that December test, but better to have it and not need it that need it and not have it."
    These words are golden.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    Take all advice from others with a grain of salt.

The LSAT the most important piece to your application. People generally don't understand the potential impact this test can have on your future (job prospects, student debt, where you go to school/live etc.). Follow you gut and only take the LSAT when you're ready to roll.

Your real support system will have your back through it
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    edited February 2016 1878 karma
    Ya @"Grey Warden" I'd wait to take the test when you feel ready. Try to simulate test conditions, including variations in noise, when taking a PT.

Note that even if you'd take the actual LSAT purely for preparatory reasons, it would not mirror the ultimate LSAT test since the purposes (and potential stress) of the tests would be different (and it would thereby be incomplete in its preparatory function).
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Grey Warden" said:
    I was wondering if I should still take the LSAT to get a feel of it.
    No. Never waste a take.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Grey Warden" said:
    I think I will withdraw, my gut feeling is I should not take it and I needed some advice from others to assure myself.
    Good :) Sounds like you're following good advice (AND your gut :D ).
  • Grey WardenGrey Warden Alum Member
    edited February 2016 813 karma
    Thanks a lot @"Ron Swanson" @LSATisland and @"Nicole Hopkins" your response has been of great help in making my decision to withdraw. Looking forward to the bitter sweet LSAT journey with my fellow 7Sagers :)