Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trap Answer Choices

ONuellaOONuellaO Alum Member
edited April 2014 in General 210 karma
Does anyone know how to quickly recognize these? or how to notice one right when you see it? especially with the time constraint? how do you almost perfect RC and LR scorers do it?
I would appreciate any tip on how to recognize these more often, i find that most of my wrong answer choices are bc of these.

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Yeah you get a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. :)
  • CFC152436CFC152436 Alum Member
    284 karma
    Not sure if there is a method to recognizing trap answer choices. When you get a question wrong, just make sure you understand why the correct answer is correct and why the wrong answer is wrong. Have you worked through the LR lessons yet? These will definitely help if you haven't.

Some general LR advice that I found helpful:
    Remember that four of the answers are totally and completely wrong. They are not, to repeat, even close to being the correct answers. This means that if you're stuck between two answer choices, you're doing something wrong (i.e. you didn't fully understand the stimulus, or you didn't fully understand one of the choices).
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    Look at a question that you consider to be easy. How do you see the right answer so quickly, when perhaps a lower scorer would struggle? Well, high scorers are just doing that with the questions that you find difficult. Just like you see the logic that maybe a lower scorer would miss, higher scorers see the logic that you are missing.

Traps are just bad lines of reasoning that you fell for. There's no secret to identifying them aside from just getting better at logic.
  • vandyzachvandyzach Free Trial Member
    358 karma
    One quick note that might help you is that I often find myself falling for answer choices that are sufficient (but not necessary) for necessary assumption questions. They are really attractive! So I try to be on guard against them.