Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To retake or not to retake...

lizmiss24lizmiss24 Alum Member
in General 50 karma
Hi everyone!

First off, I'd like to say that I've been on 7Sage since 2014 and really admire and respect this community. You are all extremely dedicated and talented, and you motivate me to work harder, better, and smarter.

That being said, I need some advice: I took the Feb. 2016 LSAT, and scored a 171. My GPA is 3.78, and I'm reaching for the T-14.

I've taken the LSAT once before (June 2014, the dreaded PT 72!) and cancelled, so this was my second admin.

I'm wondering if I should retake it in June, given that my PT average was 173. I know that 171 is a respectable score, yet in terms of scholarship $$$ and the potential to hit an even higher score, I'm wondering if it's worth another go.

I'm hesitant because I know that schools like Columbia, Stanford, and Berkeley may not favor a third take (unless you scored way below target on the first two and/or cancelled, etc.)

What do you all think? I welcome any and all advice. Thanks =)

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Dropping a few points from your PT average is really common. What I’d do is sign up for it, and study like you’re going to take it. Then when it’s time, see where your average is at. If you’ve improved your average, retake it for sure. If not, then maybe think about withdrawing, but just see how you feel. Whatever you decide, congratulations. I’m sure you’re going to have some really great options with those numbers.
  • lizmiss24lizmiss24 Alum Member
    50 karma
    Hey @Can't Get Right! Thanks for the feedback. That sounds like a good plan, yet I'm pretty sure my average would increase since I've taken most of the tests before (PT 30-77) and I'm really familiar with them (I've taken those in the 70s numerous times since they were more difficult for me than earlier tests.) So I'm not sure if an average increase would be a reliable indicator :/
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Yeah, I guess that makes it hard to judge on that metric. I guess the question becomes, how do you continue to study effectively if you’re out of materials? If you can answer that and identify where you have room to improve, that might be a good way to try and find a path forward.

I’m a little short on PTs myself. How valuable did you find your retakes of the 70s tests?
    50 karma
    That's a good point. I still have old tests that I haven't taken (PT 1-29), yet considering that the newer tests are so different, I'm unsure if there's enough predictive value there. Thanks though!

I found it to be very valuable. Believe it or not, you'll still make mistakes on a PT you originally took last week. Interestingly, I found myself getting questions wrong that I answered correctly the first time, and vice versa! It's definitely a good learning experience, and I 100% recommend it for the recent tests (70-77.)
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @lizmiss24 said:
    That being said, I need some advice: I took the Feb. 2016 LSAT, and scored a 171. My GPA is 3.78, and I'm reaching for the T-14.

Congratulations! Great work on your 171. Are you applying this cycle or next?

I agree with the option that you could register and test again depending on how your average improves prior to the test. You could also apply and if you do not get the offers you desire, you could retake to have the opportunity to improve them.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    I say if you are not consistently scoring at 175 or above, then don't retake it. Your score is kick-ass and within your current range. Now knock their sucks off with your application ;)
    50 karma
    @stepharizona - Thanks! :D I'm applying this coming cycle and will attend LS in Fall 2017. Thanks for the advice - I'll see if I can gauge my average somehow in a valid way given that I've taken almost all tests.

@Alejandro - THANK YOU! It's been a long road of 8 solid months of studying. I'll see if I can take a couple of tests and gauge my average.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2016 2086 karma
    Awesome! Congrats. Honestly, I would apply with your current score. Given that many people report scoring 3 points below their average, a 171 official score is not terrible at all. However, you certainly can retake.
    50 karma
    @MrSamlam - thanks for the advice!