PTC.S2.Q11 - translating into logic

Ballon d'OrBallon d'Or Alum Member
edited March 2016 in Logical Reasoning 61 karma
In the stimulus, it says "A field of study is genuinely autonomous discipline by virtue of its having a unique methodology"

I translated that sentence to mean that IF a field of study has a unique methodology, THEN it is genuinely autonomous discipline.
But Superprep book explanation says "all that a field of study requires to be a genuinely autonomous discipline is a unique methodology" which I translate to mean that unique methodology is a necessary condition instead of sufficient condition.

I highly doubt that the Superprep book makes any mistake, but which translation is correct?

Thank you

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    "All that a field of study requires" is another way of saying "this is a sufficient condition" (All it requires - it doesn't require anything else - it's sufficient by itself).
    So you're both right. The Superprep explanation just chose an odd way of phrasing it.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    This one's a tad odd. However, @runiggyrun explained it well.
    I thought of it like this: There is only 1 thing that is required in order to know that you have a genuinely autonomous discipline - a unique methodology. Since there is only 1, I know that once I have it, I can infer that the discipline in question is genuinely autonomous - after all, it's all we need in order for a discipline to be genuinely autonomous.