Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Few are, most aren't?"

linmat09linmat09 Member
in General 10 karma
Hi there,
So I know the core says the important thing about "few," as opposed to "some," is what you can conclude about what few is not.

Few X have polka dots, so most X's don't have polka dots.

But I've heard on a couple other courses that you can't conclude the "most aren't...."

Thoughts?

Specifically, I recall some question (which I wrote it down) that talked about lightbulbs dying b4 the warmth expired and it said something like "few die b4 warranty expires" and the answer choice explanation contained something about how you can't conclude that most "don't die b4 warranty expires."

Does anyone have a rule of thumb for this?

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I'm pretty sure "most don't" is a key characteristic distinguishing "few do" vs "some do" as JY explains in this lesson:
    https://7sage.com/lesson/few-statements-meaning-and-translation.

I believe he also emphasizes that the questions will most likely hinge on the "most don't" part, otherwise they'd just use "some".

It'd be useful to know what the actual question about the bulbs was - it only matters if it was an actual official LSAC question. I'd take questions made up by prep companies with a grain of salt, as they aren't subjected to nearly as much scrutiny and testing as the actual LSAT ones are.