Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how are the section difficulty level (1-5 star) in Analytics assigned as some of them are off?

lschoolgolschoolgo Member
edited April 2016 in General 274 karma
I find the section difficulty level that rates difficulty of a section on1-5 star scale useful. How is this rating assigned to a section? How many average wrongs make for 1-star and so on..?

For some sections, this difficulty rating seems very off.

PT-71 LG, which is one of the easier LGs, is assigned the same rating as the notorious PT-72 LG (had the surprising pattern game that got most takers) and PT-77 LG (December Lg with two tough games). All of these are given 2-star. Why is that?

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    The difficulty for the sections is assigned based on how 7Sage users perform on every section. I think the specific breakdown is proprietary, but roughly the better 7Sagers do, the fewer points that section is going to get.

I think games are a strength for the 7Sage community in general, as only ~5 of the LG sections are rated 5-point, as opposed to RC sections where nearly half of them are. They tend to be the ones where there are no fast, easy games at all. 7Sagers might have been able to breeze through the first three games of PT72 and had enough time to answer a couple of the 5 questions for game 4, making the section look OK overall. Same for PT 77, where game 3 was more time consuming than difficult, and game 4 hinged on a key inference to become a breeze. Certainly lots of people here could have done the first 2 games in 10 minutes total and have 25 min left to spend on the last two.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about the section points - you are likely not exactly the same as the average of all 7Sage users, and you'll have your own strengths and weaknesses (for example there's virtually no such thing as an "easy" LG section for me personally).
  • lschoolgolschoolgo Member
    edited April 2016 274 karma
    yeah, but it's a 2-star for 72/77 LG. That's too low and same as same of the easiest LG in recent history for PT-69 and PT-71 LG.

How many average misses make for a 2-star, 3 star, 4-star and 5-star respectively?

Can 7sage have a way to see the sample size and such info?

@runiggyrun said:
    The difficulty for the sections is assigned based on how 7Sage users perform on every section. I think the specific breakdown is proprietary, but roughly the better 7Sagers do, the fewer points that section is going to get.

I think games are a strength for the 7Sage community in general, as only ~5 of the LG sections are rated 5-point, as opposed to RC sections where nearly half of them are. They tend to be the ones where there are no fast, easy games at all. 7Sagers might have been able to breeze through the first three games of PT72 and had enough time to answer a couple of the 5 questions for game 4, making the section look OK overall. Same for PT 77, where game 3 was more time consuming than difficult, and game 4 hinged on a key inference to become a breeze. Certainly lots of people here could have done the first 2 games in 10 minutes total and have 25 min left to spend on the last two.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about the section points - you are likely not exactly the same as the average of all 7Sage users, and you'll have your own strengths and weaknesses (for example there's virtually no such thing as an "easy" LG section for me personally).
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Ratings are based on performance. One thing to keep in mind is that the ratings can sometimes seem "off" to some users. You may find a 2 difficulty rated question incredibly hard. On the other hand, a 5 difficulty question may seem like a cake walk to you.
    The LSAT writers have tons of tricks up their sleeves. Some tricks work on some people, while others do not.