Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

using an offer from X to get off a waitlist of Y

as5324therapyas5324therapy Member
edited April 2016 in Law School Admissions 175 karma
anyone ever tried using an offer to get off a wait list? Ex-school X (ranked 25) offers you a seat and you have 2 weeks to respond. School Y (first choice, rank 45) wait lists you.

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @as5324therapy said:
    anyone ever tried using an offer to get off a wait list? Ex-school X (ranked 25) offers you a seat and you have 2 weeks to respond. School Y (first choice, rank 45) wait lists you.
    I actually have not heard of this happening, as in just telling one school you were accepted at a much higher ranked school.

I know I have heard that some schools may wait list a student if they think they are an applicants low level safety school. Like in your example if the applicant can easily get into a T-25 school but they applied to a 50 as well, the 50 might not think the applicant actually wants to go there and the person applied only to have them as a safety school.

I think a letter of continued interest... actually because of the short time line, a visit to the school to demonstrate actual interest could potentially help that applicant get off the wait list.

But I'd love to hear what people have done with this.
  • as5324therapyas5324therapy Member
    175 karma
    thanks. i wonder if anyone has tried this strategy outlined
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @as5324therapy said:
    thanks. i wonder if anyone has tried this strategy outlined
    This was from a girl that was a 7Sager last cycle, but I dont think shes still active. We had our own BR group going. I can text her and she if she will pop back on to give you more details :)