Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

0L Study Group (7sage class of 2016)

Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
in General 4344 karma
Y'all—

Some of us here are about to "graduate" to law school. Various members of our community (myself, @allison.gill.sanford , @alexandergreene93 ) have been discussing plans for a pre-law-school/0L study group.

The content will:

[Reading] basically be a copy/paste of @"Nilesh S"'s advice (Short and Happy Guides for Torts and Contracts, Glannon's Civ Pro Examples & Explanations).

[Meeting] Sessions to discuss concepts and practice issue spotting (using hypos gathered from various sources).

[Project] Practice exams exchanged/discussed by the group.

I think starting in mid May would be ideal. That would give us about 3 months to work on this before we're all likely to head into orientation week (ours is the very last week of August).

Interest? Ideas? Mostly we're looking to learn some black letter material and build our chops a bit before we head into the storm.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    That's a great idea! Only thing I know to recommend is just take some notes about what works to pass along to future classes!
  • draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma
    Congratulations to all of those finally making the dream happen! I agree with @"Cant Get Right" - a "lessons learned" list would be helpful to those of us who look forward to being a 0L in the coming year(s). Best of luck to you all! :)
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    456 karma
    Love this idea. I'll be working full time until a month before the semester starts, but would love to take part when I can. Count me in.
  • nibs7985nibs7985 Member
    100 karma
    Can Canadian students get involved? If so, count me in :)
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma
    I second @"Cant Get Right" !!

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    edited April 2016 1878 karma
    Great idea. I was actually thinking of making a post about a similar idea, since I've been contacted by a lot of soon-to-be law students (esp. Canadians, since I just finished 2L at a Canadian law school) re how to prepare for law school.

I was thinking of a more theoretical approach, since sometimes there's not enough time for that in 1L. Of course, the fundamental cases would need to be covered to reach a theoretical understanding.

This black-letter approach however sounds like a good idea for preparing for the substance of 1L. If, however, there is interest for a more theoretical approach, esp. with a Canadian-orientation, I'd be happy to contribute in structuring and developing group study.

I'd just caution not to get too stressed out, but to study more as a fun preparation for law school. In fact, many would advise to just enjoy your last summer before law school. Admittedly, I thought at times during 1L that it would've been nice to have had more prior knowledge of 1L law. But the most beneficial learning will be during 1L, esp. since you'll likely be learning acc. to a specific professor's POV and be tested accordingly on final exams.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    hmm, im interested in giving it a shot I suppose, I'm not totally sure with how itll be as in what there is to do that will actually be helpful but im down to see if we can figure something out
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    YES I'm in!
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" PM me if you want help with org/start up details
  • PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    359 karma
    i am down. an invite only dropbox to share docs?
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    Definitely interested in this, count me in!
  • cahunt5221cahunt5221 Alum Member
    47 karma
    This sounds great, I've been wanting to do some prep work, count me in!
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    Sweetness!

Unfortunately we won't be doing any Canadian content. I know exactly nothing about Canadian schools or curriculum. While there will be some overlap as both countries are common law-oriented, once we get out of common law matters (like into UCC stuff for Contracts), I'm afraid I can't speak to how useful that would be for Canadians. Perhaps you guys can start your own group? Per LSAT Island's offer below:
    @LSATisland said:
    If, however, there is interest for a more theoretical approach, esp. with a Canadian-orientation, I'd be happy to contribute in structuring and developing group study.
    This isn't an official 7sage thing, just a bunch of nerdsenthusiasts getting together.

I'll set up a Google form for you interested folks to fill out :D

<3
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    I'm glad I decided to check 7sage today! Count me in.
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    In!
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    Please count me in.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    In!
    697 karma
    done!
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Thanks for the shout out @"Nicole Hopkins" I would also recommend using the audio outlines from audiooutlines.com - they are free and if you listen to them and transcribe them out, you will have a good foundation of law to build from. All the best.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @"Nilesh S" said:
    I would also recommend using the audio outlines from audiooutlines.com - they are free and if you listen to them and transcribe them out, you will have a good foundation of law to build from. All the best.
    Amazing! I had never heard of this site.
    4344 karma
    Just a little bump to invite y'all to use the sign up form :) http://goo.gl/forms/yJZeD6wYRM
    697 karma
    bought all the book, but it looks like it might be a week or more before i get the civ book ( bought a cheap used one)
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    Did we settle on meeting times?
    697 karma
    @mes08 said:
    Did we settle on meeting times?
    I believe an email was sent out for those who signed up with the times
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    456 karma
    Ordered the Torts and Contracts books off amazon. Luckily I already had the Civ Pro book.

Looking forward to next Tuesday.
    4344 karma
    We're having an organizational meeting on May 10th—we'll have a group discussion as to what we want to do then, days and times, etc! Right now it's looking like either Monday/Tuesday and Saturday but again, we will discuss to see what we want to do etc.
    2654 karma
    soooooooo email saying organization is today, but kickoff is tm... does that mean we are figuring out what we are doing and then actually starting whatev we decided to do tm?
    697 karma
    @jdawg113 I agree. Can we get some clarification?
    697 karma
    I think it is tonight. The email says Hong Kong time which would be tonight at 8 since they're 12 hrs ahead of us
    4344 karma
    @jdawg113 said:
    soooooooo email saying organization is today, but kickoff is tm... does that mean we are figuring out what we are doing and then actually starting whatev we decided to do tm?
    Check the invite again. Check the time zone.
    4344 karma
    @kennedybj said:
    I think it is tonight. The email says Hong Kong time which would be tonight at 8 since they're 12 hrs ahead of us
    @kennedybj said:
    @jdawg113 I agree. Can we get some clarification?
    Invites may be received in different time zones than mine (Central) due to your Google Calendar settings. A quick Googling of "what time is X GMT in Eastern time" would resolve this for you.
    2654 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    Check the invite again. Check the time zone.
    guh, come on yo, EST is the only important time zone, should use that as the base time :D :P