Diagnostic - 146 - where & how to go from here?

in General 4 karma
I've just begun preparing for the September 24th test by taking the June 2007 test yesterday and scored a 146 without any prior studying.
60% (30/50) Logical Reasoning
48% (13/27) Reading Comp.
39% (9/23) Games
First, I'm wondering how this stacks up against those that didn't study at all before taking this same test. Then, given my score breakdown, I'm curious as to which section I should show most attention to. Upon review of my test, I made some obvious mistakes - standard I'm sure - and I did horribly on reading comp. Reading Comprehension is typically a strong suit of mine, but I would also like some advice anyone is willing to give with regards to that section.

I live in Tallahassee, FL and will be taking a course with TestMasters that starts July 8th and will be doing self-study until then about 30 hours a week. What section should I be showing most attention to in the meantime, and what techniques should I be employing as I work? I have both PowerScore Bibles.
Thanks for any insight!

Comments

• Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    I also had a diagnostic of 146.

I started studying for the LSAT in March 2015 and hopefully will be done with it in 2 weeks.

Trust me..get a refund from tests masters and return the powerscore books, 7Sage ultimate is way cheaper and far, far superior in my opinion.

After 4 months of self study with powerscore I brought my 146 up to the 156-159 range. Then I discovered 7sage, unlearned everything, and spent the past 7ish months starting from scratch. I'd suggest saving yourself the time..7sage is awesome because it teaches you the fundamental principals behind actually understanding the material rather than mechanistic approaches or "hacks" to certain question types.

I don't know what your goals are, but the LSAT will really test your determination. At its core, beating this test takes commitment and focus.

My score range now is high 160s-low170s with a top score of 173. Trust me, if I did it so can you, but it's a long road and I definitely wouldn't be where I am now without 7sage
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2016 1650 karma
    To directly answer your question though hahah...

LG is typically the easiest to improve with practice and familiarity with game types. Most people are used to thinking the way LG requires.

For LR, this (along with LG) is where 7sage really kicks ass. It's all about understanding the relationships between support and conclusions..again, this develops through practice and exposure to material.

RC is generally understood as the toughest to improve. But again, familiarity with the questions and exposing yourself to dense reading (WSJ, Economist) will help you build mental endurance
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2016 1706 karma
    @"Ron Swanson" said:
    I definitely wouldn't be where I am now without 7sage
    7Sage rly is the best tho #7sagefamily
  • CJF_2180CJF_2180 Alum Member
    106 karma
    this gives me hope. Thanks for sharing.

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Postpone unless you need a 150... Ditch TM and PS as noted above... Get at least the Starter pack and take the summer to go through the curriculum before you start to PT in the fall... Shoot for December with February as a fall back, or more likely next summer or fall depending on your target score.

This will likely take longer than you think so don't set arbitrary deadlines for yourself, the score is too important to the admissions process.