Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Untimed vs. Timed

BreeBreeBreeBree Member
in General 219 karma
So I hear a lot of people say "only do timed!" "Timed! Timed! Timed!" But, I've been wondering if doing all timed tests from the get-go help one build up the skills needed to do really well on the timed tests? I am aiming to do untimed tests until I start getting about 90% correct before moving into timed, I'm currently at 77% self-study untimed (I know I need to build it up), I take the September test, and have a live course with TestMasters that begins in July and ends a few days before the actual test. I'm using prep test 14-46 (untimed) to really hone in on the skills, and 47 - the rest (lol) for timed. What are your thoughts? Good strategy? Or am I kidding myself? #LSATCRAZIES

Comments

• Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @siheaso said:
    I am aiming to do untimed tests until I start getting about 90% correct before moving into timed, I'm currently at 77% self-study untimed (I know I need to build it up), I take the September test
    Nope. Always timed once you're out of the curriculum.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    This is what the blind review process is for. Go through the test timed and mark all the ones you're not 100% certain of. THEN go back through those untimed until you could do the problem in your sleep.
  • BreeBreeBreeBree Member
    219 karma
    Thank you both! so to be clear @BruiserWoods, you saying that i should take timed tests, and after i score them go back to the ones I got wrong and redo/try to figure out why I got it wrong and so on?
    1706 karma
    @siheaso Not quite.
    Take a timed test. While you are taking it, make a mark or circle next to the ones you're not 100% sure about.
    Once you're done taking the test, BEFORE you score it, go back through those questions you marked. It's ok if you mark a whole bunch - you want to be 100% sure of every single question.
    You may want to change some of your answers during this process. If you do, that's fine, just make note of your original answer and the one you switched to.
    Once youre done with that, THEN you can score the test. You'll essentially have 2 scores. 1 timed score, which is more like your "actual score" and then a, hopefully higher, score - which, we here at 7sage call the "BR (or Blind Review) score."

This process makes sure you are practicing under timed conditions and not wasting tests and also makes sure you are getting everything you can out of questions before you grade a test in an untimed-type situation.
    219 karma
    Oh great! I understand what you mean now! Thank you so much @BruiserWoods for taking the time to explain it to me. Since I recently just started seriously studying, I have a hard time completing the LR questions and RC questions before I run out of time, I really hope this method will help me improve that as well. Thank you again, and ill be modifying my strategy!
    1706 karma
    @siheaso i see you don't have an account with 7sage (yet ;) ), but I'm fairly certain that J.Y. has a youtube series on the Blind Review method. It explains all this a lot more in depth than I did!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    While you're still in the curiculum phase, you can do the questions untimed. Be sure to only do questions, passages, and games from PTs 1-35. Once you have finished the curiculum, everything should be timed. Even if you are just drilling, do it timed!
    The LSAT really does test your ability to function under timed pressure. Most people on here could easily score in the 170+ range if given an hour per section. However, we don't foresee the LSAC being that generous any time soon.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    The first 2 videos for how to do the BR process are available to all 7Sage members:)
    https://7sage.com/lesson/the-blind-review-is-a-habit/

As @BruiserWoods mentioned - here are the links on YouTube.

JY's BR process has evolved to be one of the most important aspects of our studies to build significant gains in score improvement after initially understanding and attempting to master the concepts presented on the test.
    Check your Practice Test schedule and see if you can parallel your timing to join the Blind Review calls. They provide collaboration and dialogue to break down individual questions on a PT when you find yourself unsure or completely stumped. It is a great community of social and LSAT support:)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Looks like folks pretty much covered this one. When you're doing PTs, yes, you've got to do it under time. But I will add that when drilling individual sections, many people find it useful to keep time with stopwatch instead of a timer. Let it take as long as it takes in drills and then use those times to diagnose your pacing and see exactly how far you have to go. But just to reinforce what @MrSamIam said, only apply this with sections from PTs 1-35. Save everything after that for full length, timed PTs.
    219 karma
    @twssmith Awesome! thanks for the videos !!