Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How often should I take practice tests per week?

BreeBreeBreeBree Member
edited June 2016 in General 219 karma
In addition to BR and other studies, how many timed prep-tests should I take per week? I'll be taking the September 24 LSAT.

Comments

• guitarnaraguitarnara Alum Member
    365 karma
    2/week would give you enough time to do thorough BRs and prevent you from being burnt out.
  • hlsat180hlsat180 Free Trial Member
    edited June 2016 362 karma
    @siheaso Depending on your schedule, plan around 8-10 timed PTs per month using the most recent tests you have. Newer PTs (e.g., with comparative reading passages) are freaking gold - do now waste them! Instead, use older PTs to practice sections, drill problems, provide a fifth section to your timed PTs, etc.

If you are just starting now, I recommend signing up for 7sage or getting The LSAT Trainer (by Mike Kim), or both. Based on your question, it's safe to assume there is a ton of information that you need to get started right within a compressed (yet still doable) timeline. HTH
  • jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    844 karma
    I would say at least one pt per week but no more than 3 or 4 pt per week because you need to make sure you have good quality of time to blind review every question that gives you trouble during the PT and avoid burn-out.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I would say you're putting the cart before the horse here since you haven't even started studying. Go through the curriculum at whatever pace you need to and then give yourself a few months to PT at a minimum. If you have a sub 160 diagnostic and need above a 160 I would say that September is probably not going to be the best idea for you. But there's no way to know until you go through the curriculum so that's what you should be worrying about right now.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 2086 karma
    Aim for 1-3/week, depending on your schedule and how you're feeling. If you're starting to burn out, just do 1 PT a week. If you're feeling fine, but it's taking you 2-3 days to BR, aim for 2 PTs a week (reduce to 1 if necessary). If you're breezing through BR and scoring in the 170+ range, 3 per week should be fine.
    The above is just my opinion, modify it to work with your schedule!
    Don't just do PTs for the heck of it. Keep in mind that the reason we PT isn't just to see where we stand, but to learn from our mistakes. I think of each PT as a diagnostic test - it tells me what sections I need to work on, what questions types I need to review, and where I stand in terms of time.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Agreed with @Pacifico. If you’re just starting out, you don’t need to be taking any PTs at all. Take the diagnostic and see where you’re at. If you’re not within a few points of your target score, September is going to be overly ambitious. You have a finite number of PTs and one of the worst things you can do is to burn them before you’re really comfortable with the underlying logic. Learn the basics first.