Evacuated mid-test.....what happens now?

rrustrrust Alum Member
in General 52 karma
I took the June LSAT today in Orlando, FL. The test was going well, we had just finished break and were about to start the 4th section of the exam, when the Dean of the law school told everyone that we were being evacuated because of a hurricane and that we had to leave immediately. They told us LSAC was going to score the 3 sections we had finished, but to call LSAC for an further questions. I called LSAC and they indicated they would not be scoring the 3 sections and that a make up test date could possibly materialize, but they did not know for certain. Is there precedence for this?? Very frustrated.

Comments

• BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    @rrust said:
    Is there precedence for this??
    First, let me say that this is complete BS, and I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this on an already stressful day.

That said, I have not heard of this exact circumstance happening before. But I have heard of people who were not able to take LSATs due to natural disasters (hurricanes, tropical storms, being snowed in, etc.). For those test takers, I am fairly sure that they gave an alternative test date at some time pretty close to the original, but I could be wrong. Is the LSAC going to at the very least refund your money or let you take in September at no cost?

Again, this sucks so much, and I am incredibly empathetic to this situation. :(
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 4344 karma
    @rrust said:
    They told us LSAC was going to score the 3 sections we had finished, but to call LSAC for an further questions. I called LSAC and they indicated they would not be scoring the 3 sections and that a make up test date could possibly materialize, but they did not know for certain.
    They will NOT score the sections—there will either be a make up test or they will give you free reg to the Sept test. So it sounds like you got a dress rehearsal!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 2086 karma
    Sorry that happened to you. As far as I know, LSAC has been known to re-administer the exams when something goes south - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    I believe it was after the Dec '15 LSAT that they lost some of the answer sheets. If I'm not mistaken, those students were provided with a retake date (or, they were told they could retake it...again, not sure).
    4344 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    If I'm not mistaken, those students were provided with a retake date (or, they were told they could retake it...again, not sure).
    Correct.
  • rrustrrust Alum Member
    52 karma
    They did indicate I would not have to pay for the next LSAT, whether that be a re-take or in Sept. I wonder is this is going to count as my 2nd attempt? If so, that's BS. I had no control of this.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    @rrust said:
    I wonder is this is going to count as my 2nd attempt?
    HIGHLY doubt it. You didn't even "take" the test, as you weren't able to complete it.
    4344 karma
    @rrust said:
    I wonder is this is going to count as my 2nd attempt?
    Nope it won't.
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    @rrust so sorry you had that experience. I'm sure they will let you reschedule a retake sometime soon so you won't have to necessarily wait until September. Thankfully this will not count as one of your takes.

You mentioned the test was going well before the interruption & evacuation. Can you give us some feedback about your experience & how you felt about the test as a whole & maybe what section you think could have been experimental?
  • rrustrrust Alum Member
    edited June 2016 52 karma
    My first three sections were LG, RC and LR. I found it to be very similar to all of the prep tests in the 70's. I did, however, find RC to be rather difficult, which is usually my strength. The first passage was removed that was difficult so it kind of threw me off. Besides for a tough RC section, I thought games were easy and LR very standard. I was prepared and ready to take this thing thanks to 7sage, but living in FL you never know what might happen..
    4344 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    Can you give us some feedback about your experience & how you felt about the test as a whole & maybe what section you think could have been experimental?
    There is no way for him/her to know this since he/she only took 3 sections.

We are however tracking this in the official thread pinned to the top of the forum.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited June 2016 12637 karma
    Please don't post details like that about the test! Rules to follow:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/6922/official-june-lsat-discussion-thread
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Here's some ground rules, taken from my usual sticky:

We know that everyone will be excited to discuss what was on the June '16 LSAT, but mentioning specifics about the test (e.g., "I got B for question 6" or "the 3rd LG was sequencing") can get both us and you in a lot of trouble with LSAC. Saying that the test was hard/easy without going into detail is okay, but anything more specific is not okay. LSAC monitors this forum.

If you're unsure what may be too specific, feel free to PM me with what you'd like to post.

The only exception is you can say which sections were real or experimental. For example, the LG with "flowers" was experimental. That's okay.
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    @rrust the good thing is that you know now you are really prepared to conquer it when you get your retake scheduled. Hopefully that will help you to go in even more confident.

Do you recall any of the topics on any of the sections? That will help them narrow down the experimental section as they start hearing from others.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I had a friend that was one of the USCB takers (where they lost the tests) and they got a free retake for February, or the option to take an earlier test.

They also got a letter in their LSAC file that explained about the first take.

The take also did not count as one of their three takes.

Perhaps this will play out the same way @rrust
  • Ginan AcostaGinan Acosta Free Trial Member
    14 karma
    Has anyone heard from LSAC yet? This happened to me in Orlando, too, and I'm getting so anxious.
  • rrustrrust Alum Member
    52 karma
    I talked to LSAC this morning. They said they were in the process of creating a re-take and that all affected test takers would be notififed via email.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Alum Member
    edited June 2016 1762 karma
    When they cancelled one of my takes because of a snow storm, the retake happened within the next week. Maybe your retake will happen within the next week or two.
  • rrustrrust Alum Member
    52 karma
    Retake scheduled for June 18, 2016! And scores will come back the same time as everyone from the June 6 test. Blessing in disguise possibly @BruiserWoods
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @rrust Congrats on a quick turn around for the re-schedule. Stay sharp and Stay Strong!
    Al the best:)
  • Ginan AcostaGinan Acosta Free Trial Member
    edited June 2016 14 karma
    I hope you all did great yesterday! I hope our scores come out with everyone else's.