LSAT - Where to start

in General 1025 karma
Background
Just a little background for a moment, I am about to enter my third year of undergrad at a school with an 85% acceptance rate ( D: ). I have a 3.95 and I am planning on taking the June 2017 LSAT. During these 5.5 months leading up to the test, I will be taking only 3 credits at school, with no job or rent over my head. It seems a bit lazy, but last semester I took 21 credits and worked 25 hours a week as well. I realize that this test will determine the rest of my life so I am treating it as such. Harvard is my dream goal and I will be applying September 2017. I am a soon-to-be ultimate member on 7sage and will self-study, I feel as if I could push myself more that way.

No Idea
My problem right now is that I will have a decent amount of time to study (I realize this is a double edge sword). Nevertheless I am absolutely lost when it comes down to where to start and how to schedule a very efficient planner in order to really kill this test.
I hear many say that 5.5 months is too long, but I know myself, and I I've taught myself how to grind out work for hours. I think I will be ready, I just need a plan of attack.

Mindset?
I was reading a great article about burning out and everything else that comes with the LSAT struggle, but I really believe that article (so mad I didn't save it) changed me. My goal is a 180 but I am not going try for perfection at first, or maybe at all, rather, I will strive to learn as much as I can from my mistakes and work on fixing my thinking. I hope this thinking is the right mindset, what do y'all think? Any advice on what a realistic mindset would be entering into this phase of studying?

Books? Order of Reading? Schedule?... AHHHHH
With this being said, I feel like I am mentally prepared to have the best experience I can while studying, I am just fearful of not knowing how to plan it. I read all these guides about what books to read, mixed options on what is better and what is not. But after reading them, I felt more confused than I did before I read them!

So.. really, where is the best place to start? Should I buy books now and start reading, or should I be reading in this 5.5 months I would be studying? How many hours each day is good? days a week? planned PT's each week?
Do I start learning all the sections at the same time of focus on one at a time?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just feel like a little clownfish fish in a vast LSAT ocean (Finding Nemo reference).
Thanks for reading and I'm excited to start this journey with everyone here.

Also, if there are any NEED to read articles or posts, I'd love to read your favorites!!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Buy the 7Sage package, buy some 10 Actual PT books, take your diagnostic. 7Sage has a built in scheduler so it will take care of most of these worries for you. Just follow the syllabus and you'll be fine. 5.5 months might be enough, but it might not. Depends on what your diagnostic is. Just be prepared to possibly have to spend 6-18 months on this journey depending on your personal circumstances.
  • draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    edited June 2016 916 karma
    7Sage has a feature to develop a weekly study schedule based on your target test date. I would start there for an idea of how much you should cover on a weekly basis. I used it as a general timeline but it took me much longer to work through the curriculum than the study schedule outlined. Also, I don't think 5.5 months is a lot of time (depending on how you perform on your first diagnostic) so I would start as soon as you're ready. I started by working through the curriculum and just kept swimming (ref: Finding Nemo) from there. Best of luck! Keep the mindset you described above. It's a marathon.
  • edited June 2016 1025 karma
    Thank you! That sounds like a great game plan. I didn't know that 7sage has a schedule included.

Also, with 7 days a week devoted to LSAT for this time period and with you experience, how long is the ideal amount of studying each day?

Cheers!

@Pacifico
  • edited June 2016 1025 karma
    @draj0623 Thanks for your advice! I will keep swimming, defiantly.

I'll be on my way to P. Sherman 180 Wallaby Way, Sydney, hopefully. lol
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    All depends what phase of the game you're in. During the curriculum I think you can pound it out as fast as you like as long as you're not sacrificing comprehension. I think it's pretty hard to burn out in the curriculum due to JY's fun and engaging teaching style. I would shoot for at least 3 hours a day 6 days a week. Definitely give yourself a day off each week to decompress and get outside or something.

Once you start PTing it will be very different since the limiting factor will be the length and depth of your BR. I recommend 2-3 PTs a week with excellent clean copy BR and then some limited drilling sprinkled in just to address any weaknesses.

• 1025 karma
    This sounds wonderful!
    I am excited to hear that the curriculum is engaging.

Thank you.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    A lot of great advice already. All I’d really add is that if you’re aiming for a 180, you really cannot commit yourself to a test date at this point. Let your readiness determine your test date, not the other way around. With your GPA, you are in a great position to get accepted at Harvard (and everywhere else if you bang out a 180 LSAT), so don’t waste a test. With your target score you really can’t afford to make any mistakes, and wasting a take before you’re ready is a big one. If you’re ready after 5.5 months, then great. If you’re not, then that’s fine too. Just be willing to be open to the possibility, and don’t feel like it represents a failure of any kind if you aren’t ready by then. For the range you are reaching for, 1 - 1.5 years is more typical, so it’s all good if it takes you a little longer than you’re planning for.
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    Complete every practice set in its entirety after every lesson as that is where the teachings are brought to life. Once you can conquer that, the PTs and BRs will serve as a standard of progress. A personal failure of mine is I didn't fully complete all of the question sets because I felt that I had a good handle of the material and just moved on. The LSAT has a way of showing you new variations of logical weaknesses you never knew and the only way to expose them is to fail (or miss a question) occasionally. Fully exhaust the curriculum before starting PTs if you can but take PTs 36-40 only if you just can't hold out the temptation to see progress. The test is tough and the timed component of it is really where it wears on you. Take PTs in environments that are tougher than actual testing environments in order to make "game day" easier. My last bit of advice is their is no such thing as a safety school when choosing law schools. If you are Harvard (and comparable school) or bust don't settle for a LSAT score that won't get you in that school. Whether that takes 5.5 months or 18 months, with a 3.95 gpa you can make it happen.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 4344 karma
    Two things OP (and we are happy to meet you :) ): @cclarez

"Any advice on what a realistic mindset would be entering into this phase of studying?"

1) Set a goal that is necessary for your dream school and recognize that no LSAT score is ever sufficient for anything in the T14. If I were you I would make my goal a 173-175.

2) Do NOT study 7 days a week. A one day per week 100% break from the LSAT is necessary. A lot of people think they're special and they can ignore this advice because obviously being SO special and outstanding they are the exception to this rule.

There is no exception to this rule. Ignore this second piece of advice at your peril. And don't say I didn't warn you when diminished returns set in, should you assume the risk of doing so.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Also wanted to chime in and add that we have a 14 day money back guarantee, so don't feel pressured to stay if you try the course out and don't like it. Just email me if you want a refund before the 14 days are up: dillon@7sage.com
  • edited July 2016 1025 karma
    Thank you all for the kind advice!

@"Cant Get Right" - Wow, I did not know some people study for that long to get a perfect score. But then again, what would be the use of this test if everyone received a 180?!
    I appreciate the guidance on not adhering to a specific test date, I can see where it would help a ton. By the way, I love the profile picture!!

@"7Sage Admin" This will help tremendously in the planning of what order to study and take PT's in. What I am taking away from your experience is that the foundation is key and not to leave any material out until it is understood completely(:

@"Nicole Hopkins" The LSAT score range you gave sounds great! And I do not think I would be able to handle 7 without ending up in a psych ward shortly after lol, but I was thinking about 50-60 hours a week, what do you think? (I'll be taking 3 credits with no job) I am not sure if this is still a road to burning out, but as of right now I am taking 9 credits and working 60 hours a week as well, but I am sure LSAT hours wear on ones brain a lot more than work.

@"Dillon A. Wright" I will definitely do that, thank you.

Here is a question for all of you guys, if you would be so kind as to help me with it. Would you recommend I start with the CC now? I will be doing no LSAT from September to December as I am studying abroad, but I am not sure if it is better to finish it all consecutively or if it is better to review the material I read prior to leaving for school, when I return.

Thank you!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Coreyy02 Hey Corey, I read your OP, and all the wonderful advice on here. I was in your shoes about 2 months ago when the school year ended. Going into senior year of UG, I knew it was ready to start studying for the LSAT. But like yourself, I didn't quite know where to begin. So I started by buying about $350 worth of books. I went through some of them, but wasn't finding anything that clicked with me, especially when starting out. Eventually I picked up The LSAT Trainer which was helpful, but I didn't feel like it was quite geared for someone just starting out....

So about 3 weeks ago I got myself the 7Sage starter package. It was a world of difference from the myriad of LSAT prep stuff I had tried before it. I think the main difference and what makes it such a great tool for starting out, and every other phase of prep, is that it is an entire philosophy. My biggest problem with the prep books were that many of them seemed like disparate tips and tricks for attacking each question type... 7Sage gives you an entire tool box for everything you will encounter on the LSAT. And what I really love is how the lessons are set up. J.Y. is interesting to listen to and delivers his lessons with humor and references like Dragon Ball Z and Star Wars. It makes it a lot easier to apply the strategies for Strengthening and Weakening questions when you remember an analogy JY uses about strengthening Goku's energy beam....

It is also great because you can re-watch lessons, and they are broken down into smaller sub-lessons. This allows you the ease to go back and watch the exact part of the lesson you need should you need extra help.

And one of my favorite parts are the drills at the end of the lessons w/ video explanations!
    There is something infinitely more helpful of seeing someone with the skills of JY solving the questions in real time. You really start to absorb the correct mindset. And that is something that is hard to get out of just using prep books.

And like @"Dillon A. Wright" said you can try it out free for 2 weeks. I knew within 5 hours that that 7Sage was a game changer and knowing I had that option made it feel like a safe decision.

And with that awesome GPA, I guarantee that if you put in the time, you can absolutely be accepted in Harvard Law School. Nicole is so right, aim for a 173-175 and I would bet anything your dream is yours!

Good Luck!
  • 1025 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    And what I really love is how the lessons are set up. J.Y. is interesting to listen to and delivers his lessons with humor and references like Dragon Ball Z and Star Wars. It makes it a lot easier to apply the strategies for Strengthening and Weakening questions when you remember an analogy JY uses about strengthening Goku's energy beam....
    Sounds like I am in for a treat! Thank you for the response. This test really seems like a long strive for perfection thought trial and error. I will be joining in on the fight very soon.
  • 1025 karma
    @"Alex Divine" after reading your most recent post, it seems we have very similar goals, timing, and situations. I am looking forward to these next few months!!!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    You are in for a big treat! Studying on 7Sage is almost fun and I find myself laughing while doing the core curriculum lessons. I never thought I'd be laughing while learning for this test. And it is a long strive for perfection on this test, but the good thing I have learned from the community on here is you aren't alone going through it.. :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Coreyy02 Yes, I just realized, we both have very similar GPAs, and goals of attending Harvard Law school! So naturally we will both be aiming for the 170s+

And you know what? I am also looking forward to the next few months. That is another thing I never thought I would say during this arduous LSAT prep process. But watching my 7Sage lessons on my rooftop, with the cityscape in the background, and a nice iced tea is what I look forward to every night. I think I can see Harvard from here, lol.

@"Alex Divine Woot! Well, in your case a 180 :O

The way you are studying sounds very relaxing, almost like an LSAT and chill. lol.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    But watching my 7Sage lessons on my rooftop, with the cityscape in the background, and a nice iced tea is what I look forward to every night.
    Plz switch places with me
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq Haha it sounds good in theory, but finding a quiet place to study is next to impossible. I think that is why I am enjoying the lessons so much, because I have my headphones in, lol. I would trade for a more quiet place any day.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Coreyy02 HA!!! LSAT and chill? Perhaps my new pick up line for the ladies this fall :)

Ehhh, I think I exaggerated how often I actually do that. I might do it 1-2x a week depending on the insufferable humidity. It is really nice though, once it cools down a bit.

And yes, yes... 180 *(insert prayer hands emoji)*
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    You seem to have a lot of it figured out. That said, I would start by figuring out which prep course or set of books you want to utilize. As someone who has used 7Sage, among many other companies, I would recommend 7Sage.
    Buy all of your materials. You'll want to PT using prep tests 35+, so, be sure to buy those. You'll also want to drill with the older PTs, many of which can be found at a low cost on amazon (look for the "10 Test..." books).
    Figure out which school you want to go to, and use their numbers to determine what you need to score on the LSAT to get in (this is your "target score").
    Start with a diagnostic test (June 2007, which is available for free, online). Don't read too much into your score - it means very little.
    Then, proceed with the core curriculum, and be sure that you're actually learning the material. This may take anywhere from 1-5 months. You won't find many people here who think that 5.5 months of studying is too much.
    Once you've completed the core curriculum, start PTing and BRing. Use the analytics to determine if you need to drill a specific question type, RC, or if you need to fool proof the games.
    Rinse and repeat until you have consistently achieved your desired score multiple times.
    27823 karma
    If you’re going to be breaking from September through December, I think it’s okay to get started, just focus on LR. I’ve found that LG takes constant work to maintain once you’ve gotten it down to the -0 range. I learned that one the hard way, lol. LR sticks a lot better, and I’ve never found that I lose my edge on that after a break.
    @MrSamIam This timeline is gold, I will be using this a lot, so I thank you! I will be shooting to hit my target goal as fast as possible. I know it will take a lot a focus, but I am determined!
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    If you’re going to be breaking from September through December, I think it’s okay to get started, just focus on LR.
    Do you suggest starting with the 7sage LR or should I start with another source? I believe if I purchase the Ultimate+ now, I will have the subscription for the time I need it, even after the break I am taking. I am getting the Ultimate+ regardless, but I am not sure if starting now is a fruitful option.
    What are your thoughts?
    27823 karma
    Different companies have different approaches. So it might be interesting to get some different perspective, but for me, I really wish I'd just started with 7Sage from the beginning. I really didn't incorporate anything from my old material and had some confusion learning new, but definitely better, methods. If you do want to go with a book, it's my understanding that the Trainer is actually really compatible with 7Sage. I haven't used it, but a lot of people who know their stuff have recommended it.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I really wish I'd just started with 7Sage from the beginning.
    @"Cant Get Right" Oh man, if I could only go back in time and just start with what ended up working best. I wasted all my money on stuff I didn't end up using that much at all. The good news is J.Y. starts from the basics and so, I didn't feel too confused luckily.
    edited July 2016 27823 karma
    No doubt @"Alex Divine" . I toyed around with the idea of jumping around the curriculum and skipping everything I already “knew.” Really glad I decided against that! The basics are at the heart of everything else. I can still remember the lights coming on as I watched the necessary assumption lessons. I got how to manipulate conditionals before, but I never really understood the true nature of conditional relationships until that moment. That was definitely a turning point, and I would totally have missed it had I not gotten the 7Sage basics. When I first signed up, I was really demoralized from a disappointing score from December 2015. I decided I was just going to forget everything I knew, completely start over, and trust the 7Sage methods. Definitely a good call in hindsight, although I suppose my reasoning at the time was probably more based in frustration.

And I saw somewhere you were able to get the pdfs, so not all that money was wasted! Those alone are probably worth everything you spent combined!