Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to go from here

emilycyoung1emilycyoung1 Free Trial Member
in General 234 karma
Has anyone ever gotten to this point/what did you do to increase your score?: I am missing consistently around 4-6 per section and I need a 170 on the LSAT so I need to improve big time. I have read the powerscore books and have taken about 11 PTs.

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    More PTs, making sure you do a complete and total BR (blind review) and writing out why each answer is right/wrong for your challenging questions is the key to improving. Most people dont take the time to do it properly, but the ones that do really seem to master the test.

Getting a 170+ is difficult and rare (only about 3-4%) of all test takers so you have to work for it. But do all of the steps properly to really master the test and you'll get there!

Remember most top scorers have been where you are, its how they pushed themselves that made the difference.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @emilycyoung1 sign up for the free trial here and see how you like it. If you're having issues with LG those videos are free so definitely take advantage of those. You may also want to take a look at The LSAT Trainer if you haven't already done so. Lots of people around here use both 7 Sage and the Trainer with no issues. Also, as previously stated, a thorough BR is key! You need to figure out if you're consistently missing the same question types and review to see what you're not understanding. I'm not sure if the free trial offers the analytics but if you decide to purchase a pkg you can enter your test results and the analytics will tell you what you need to focus on. Hope this helps.
  • emilycyoung1emilycyoung1 Free Trial Member
    234 karma
    @tanes256 My LSAT is in September, is the starter 3 month course helpful on 7Sage?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    I was using Powerscore before 7Sage. It served as an okay background for coming into 7Sage, but on its own I don't think it could have ever been enough for me. The Games Bible is terrible and the LR is very hit or miss.

I definitely recommend 7Sage, or short of that the Trainer. With the starter package you get the complete curriculum which is the bulk of what you need. It's a great place to start and they do a two week trial period, so money back if you decide it's not for you.

That said, you may find that three months is not enough time. It will probably take you about three months to work through the curriculum. By the time you finish you will have very little time in PT/BR phase, which is where you really learn how to apply what you learn in the curriculum.

170 takes time. That's a big jump for three months, even if you study full time at a consistently high level. If you find yourself in a situation of having to choose between September or your target score, choose your target score.
  • emilycyoung1emilycyoung1 Free Trial Member
    234 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I have already been studying for 3 and a half months and my last PT was a 162 so do you think with 3 more months I can get to a 170? I should have mentioned how long I have been studying for
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    It's possible for some people. For me, it was not even close to the amount of time I needed from that level. And I don't mean to be discouraging. I just burned myself so badly by letting myself become overly committed to a test date. I took it twice before I was even close to ready because I let myself get emotionally committed to the test date.

So I'd say to definitely prepare for September, just don't hesitate to delay if the time comes and you aren't ready. And be honest with yourself when it comes time to make that call! It's actually quite easy to talk yourself into it even when you're far from ready!
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 4181 karma
    PowerScore teaches you the rule "'I' before 'E' except after 'C.'" 7Sage teaches you why this is, the exceptions, and the roots behind all of it. I'd say you're sitting pretty with a score like that after using just PowerScore, and I'm with @"Cant Get Right", take your time and garner a thorough understanding of the language of the LSAT. I would go with @tanes256 suggestion to go for the free trial to see how you like it. I wouldn't take PTs during this time, however. Should 7Sage be to your liking, you'll want to go through the curriculum before wasting precious PTs. Keep those for after you've learned the material and have truly gained an understanding of the test.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @emilycyoung1 I don't think anybody will be able to tell you if 3 months will work for you but I think @"Cant Get Right" is spot on. I honestly don't think 3 mos will be enough time if you have to "unwind" your thinking on a few things. It may take some time to figure out what you're doing wrong to be able to get on the right track, if that makes sense. I say strive for September but don't make the mistake of taking unless you're hitting your goal. Hitting your score on test day when you've never hit it during your studies is probably on likely in a dream. You also might want to hold off on the PT until you know what's holding you back. Did you BR the PT you've taken? You could use those PT and go back and confirm why an answer choice is right or wrong. If you can accurately identify why 4 AC are wrong and1 AC is right then you probably don't have an issue with that question type, move on. If you're having issues on identifying either on any question, note it. It's something you need to revisit in the curriculum. It's definitely tedious but it's probsbly the best way to determine your weak areas. BR a few of those tests and see where you are. That might help you determine if 3 mos is enough time for you.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited June 2016 3197 karma
    @danielznelson said:
    PowerScore teaches you the rule "'I' before 'E' except after 'C.'" 7Sage teaches you why this is, the exceptions, and the roots behind all of it.
    Oh that is a great comparison! Some students get to this on their own, but 7Sage gets you there faster.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 4181 karma
    Off of that, don't be afraid to retake PTs once you start getting into them. Retaking may seem like a waste of time, but it often reveals new mistakes and answer choices you only barely reasoned through the first time. And definitely go with the advice @tanes256 just shared, in my opinion.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    edited July 2016 1128 karma
    @emilycyoung1 take 20-25 PTs total (so 10-15 more than you have already) with thorough BR and then see where you are at. Also consider working with a tutor if you aren't seeing improvement. You can do this!