Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC CAS, etc.

BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
in General 1706 karma
So uhhh, should I be signed up for the CAS on LSAC already? Or is that something I can wait to do? I really am clueless about all this stuff, because I've been focusing on LSAT LSAT LSAT the whole time so far.

Anybody have any ideas on what the service is, when I should sign up for it, etc.?

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Yes, sign up like it's nobody's bidness. That's the only way law schools can take a look at your application, woman.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    it's so expensive good lord why they don't want me to go to law school?
    1706 karma
    but @montahar im not "applying" til like - september. Does it expire at some point?
    11542 karma
    Oh ok then just make sure you've signed up at least a couple weeks in advance. You should be Gucci.
    11542 karma
    It doesn't expire until 5 years btw
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited June 2016 3197 karma
    @BruiserWoods said:
    So uhhh, should I be signed up for the CAS on LSAC already?
    I would advise signing up today. You need to get all of your transcripts in, know your UGPA and have the referral service ready for your recommenders. I think all of that is tied to CAS.

So you pay the fee, then contact all of your schools and get the transcripts in, then also get in contact with your LOR peeps. It can take a few weeks to get everything in AND you need schools to see your awesome LSAT score and GPA so they can start waiving your application fees. You'll still be on the hook for the $30 LSAC file fee with each application, but the sooner your information is available, the sooner the waivers will roll in.

If you wait till end of July, there is chance everything wont be processed until Mid Sept. My transcripts took 2-3 weeks to process and then I discovered an error and that added another 2 weeks. Plus now is the time to get the recommendations. A few of mine took 4 months to upload theres. You dont want to be held back because you didnt start early enough.

Plus every time you do anything LSAC related with a purchase, your account gets moved 5 years ahead. My account was going to originally expire in 2019 and now its good till 2021.

edited June 2016 3197 karma
    @montahar said:
    Oh ok then just make sure you've signed up at least a couple weeks in advance. You should be Gucci.
    Not so. Just double checked LORs and Transcripts are apart of CAS, so you need more than a few weeks. Give yourself at a minimum 6 weeks to be safe before the day you are going to apply with your LSAT score. As you want your file to be complete ASAP, not waiting on transcripts, LORs and such when you already have an LSAT score.

The Credential Assembly Service (CAS) creates your law school report by combining

an academic summary report;
    LSAT score(s) and writing sample(s);
    copies of all undergraduate, graduate, and law/professional school transcripts; and
    copies of letters of recommendation and evaluations, if applicable.
    The Credential Assembly Service fee covers

transcript summarization (and authentication and evaluation if applicable),
    creation of your law school report,
    letter of recommendation/evaluation processing, and
    electronic application processing for all ABA-approved law schools

LSAC also says: You do not need to sign up for CAS at the same time you register for the LSAT; however, you should sign up at least four to six weeks before your first law school application deadline. It takes approximately two weeks to process a transcript from the time it is received. http://www.lsac.org/jd/help/faqs-cas
    3197 karma
    @BruiserWoods said:
    but @montahar im not "applying" til like - september. Does it expire at some point?
    A mid September Application you need CAS by July 28, to ensure everything is processed, thats the 6 weeks out mark, but like I said I would get everything set up as soon as possible, so that you are not rushed at all and you can have some room for any potential issues that crop up.

For each school, go through your unofficial transcripts extreamly thoroughly. If you are missing awards, honors and such, ask the school to fix those ASAP. That can take a few weeks. Then get the transcripts in (2 weeks to process once received) and do the LOR requests asap as well.

You want to focus just on your apps not all of the behinds the scenes stuff and hope it all works out . At least thats me.
    11542 karma
    Thanks @stepharizona. I was able to sign up with just a few weeks but in any event the earlier the better :)
    1706 karma
    @stepharizona thank you for that thorough explanation! :) I can't sign up today, unfortunately. #poorpeopleproblems But I'll start budgeting for it ASAP.
    3197 karma
    Did you already try for a waiver @BruiserWoods They can be very hard to get but worth a try if you havent already.
    1706 karma
    @stepharizona I did. I was denied. I appealed. Denied again.

They didn't seem to take into consideration the amount of money I make in relation to where I live (Boston). Like the cost of living here is astronomical, so of course, I make slightly above the "national average" single-family-household. But I'm literally living at the poverty line in Boston. It's really frustrating, and I'm honestly feeling very discouraged this week.

I know why there are so few poor kids in college, let alone law school. I started looking into the fees for the schools I want to apply to and adding it all up and my head is honestly spinning. I don't know what I'm going to do, and I know I'm not the only person in this situation.

And I probably should take the LSAT again, because I know I can break 170. But that's another $180 and I'm just feeling sad and a little lost. /vent
    edited July 2016 3197 karma
    Hugz @BruiserWoods You can always see if the Edit: Indiana Tech Law School still has the apply and get a free LSAT take :) but yes it is very expensive! I too was declined for a waiver, most of the OL scholarships I know about have already closed too.

The big thing is. the sooner you get CAS, the sooner the waivers will come pouring in and a $180 retake could mean $10-40,000 more in scholarship money. So... if you look at it like an investment, it will more than pay off.
    1706 karma
    @stepharizona oh i KNOW it's an investment. It's just like - i literally don't have the money right now. haha
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    is it frowned upon if we apply for a fee waiver? I have seriously considered it. But, cannot recall where but I did read that it is not encouraged. Single mom of 3 here.. Although I do have a full-time job... and I don't have any type of assistance.. (I also have zero C/S but that's another story). Is there criteria I could check before seeing if I could get the waiver??
  • kmarie7kmarie7 Alum Member
    208 karma
    I was wondering this same things about CAS! Reasons why I love 7sage
    3197 karma
    @"dytmom_3x" said:
    Is there criteria I could check before seeing if I could get the waiver??
    Nope no criteria and no one knows and its easier than emailing every school. Its one of those things to try and see what happens. I just ended up paying for everything, and I am not sure if I would have a chance now. But even with CAS and LSATs already paid for, it might be worth the try to for the admission waivers.

Common things to be turned down for are:
    income exceeds the eligibility criteria.
    cash balances exceed the eligibility criteria.
    income from interest and/or dividends exceeds the eligibility criteria.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @BruiserWoods i totally understand where you're coming from! I can't afford to pay for the test and CAS at the same d@mn time! I am so blessed to have overdraft protection!
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    I'm in the same position as you guys, it killed me to have to pay the $180 for CAS but it's something that has to be done. Also want to retake but I gotta wait a few weeks to save up some $. These fees are killing me, and with applications down the line, it's gonna be a really expensive next few months. Not looking forward!
    1706 karma
    @tanes256 @StopLawying I'm so bitter these past few days over the notion that "you can do anything you want to if you try hard enough and work hard!" No, actually. That's not really how it works. Like why do some of us have to "try and work" literally 5 and 6 times harder than other people and yet we're still measured by the same criteria. I know we can write adendums and stuff, but that only goes so far.

So here I am (we are) trying to play fortune teller on which schools we have the best chance of getting into instead of casting as wide a net as possible. It's just really sad and disheartening. Just know that y'all aren't alone, and we're gonna make it out to the other side and know that we really, truly earned our spots. Not everyone gets that feeling, but we will <3
    3197 karma
    @montahar said:
    Yes, sign up like it's nobody's bidness. That's the only way law schools can take a look at your application, woman.
    Excellent update :)
  • solkriossolkrios Free Trial Member
    140 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    You can always see if the Indian Law School still has the apply and get a free LSAT take :) but yes it is very expensive!
    what is this about?
    140 karma
    Does CAS automatically update with a new LSAT score? Or should I wait until I take it the 2nd time?
    3197 karma
    @solkahlerrios said:
    what is this about?
    Oh just caught the typo and updated Indian Tech (a new law school) was offering that if you applied they would pay for your LSAT, but now they are offering a free visit if accepted, so I am not sure if they are still doing the free LSAT.
    3197 karma
    @solkahlerrios said:
    Does CAS automatically update with a new LSAT score? Or should I wait until I take it the 2nd time?
    Yep, is auto updates.
    140 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    Indian Tech (a new law school) was offering that if you applied they would pay for your LSAT, but now they are offering a free visit if accepted
    Dang! I'd rather get the free LSAT than the visit. Though I'm not sure what the visit entails. Will look into it out of curiosity! Thanks for your responses.