Am I on the right track?/Achievable Goals? (edited)

aleun62aleun62 Free Trial Member
edited July 2016 in General 76 karma
I posted this on another forum a few minutes ago, so I apologize if some people see this again:

I've been scoring 167-169 lately on tests in the 50s, with a few in the 40s, and one in the 60s (65). I just did PT 70 and got a 165, though, but I've been struggling to balance work and LSAT prep so that is probably a factor. However, I have heard anecdotally that the newer tests are/seem harder. I guess my question is: should I be concerned? I know I've only taken one in the 70s, so I'm definitely going to take more really soon. Does anyone have tips for adjusting to newer tests and for getting over hurdles?

I'm aiming for 170+ (no specific score in mind but I simply want to maximize my scoring) and will be writing in September. Is this realistic? Even more, if I want to get a low to mid-170 by the September exam, is this achievable?

I'll be done work mid-August so I'll be able to study full-time after. I want to know if I'm on the right track for where I want to be.

Edited: For some context, my BR is 175 or 176 most of the time.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Yeah, I think that’s doable. You’ve got to have really effective and highly disciplined study habits to get to that level, but you’re definitely within striking distance.

As for the newer tests, I’m not sure “harder” is entirely accurate. They definitely have a unique flavor, but at the end of the day the logic hasn’t changed. I think the primary quirk that is often perceived as more difficult is the wording of wrong answer choices in LR might be slightly more deceptive. But it still tests the same basic skills. It’s maybe just easier to slip and choose a wrong answer because it doesn’t quite say what you think it says. You have to be vigilant with that and be very mechanical about it, but that’s also true for every other era of the test.
  • aleun62aleun62 Free Trial Member
    76 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Thank you! I appreciate the detailed and honest answer. I agree that the answer choices are slightly more deceptive, which, on the bright side, demonstrates my blind spots and any assumptions and bad habits I have formed during my studies. What would you consider really effective/disciplined study, however? Is this based on a rough number of hours per day (such as 6-8 hours? I can't do that while working but I'm aiming for all day on weekends and 3-4 hours on weekdays). Just want to clarify if disciplined study can be quantified meaningfully at all or if it is highly dependent on my retention and the quality of my drilling and BR. Thanks again!
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I think your allotted time would fit in to what @"Cant Get Right" is referring to. Just be careful of burnout (this includes freaking out 24/7 over PT scores).

The 70s are of course the same in their logic, though I do think the questions focus on certain aspects more often than do other tests. Moreover, they're simply just written a tad differently than other tests. It was not until I had taken three 70s that I had begun to feel more comfortable with them. Your scores on earlier tests are not flukes by any means.
    edited July 2016 76 karma
    @danielznelson Thank you! So just to confirm, you don't think I'm being unrealistic, right?
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Sorry. Missed the last part of your question.

No. I think that goal is a good one. You certainly aren't being unrealistic in your aspirations. You're quite close already, and even though getting into the 160s is tough, you're in a good spot. Just remember not to rush it. If you haven't met your goal by September, consider waiting until December. That over taking when you're not ready, for sure.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Hey, I think Daniel pretty much covered it, but while there is definitely a threshold of study quantity you’ll have to cross, the quality is much more important. When I say disciplined study, I mean quality. To score in the 170s, you really have such a small margin of error, you’ve got to take every missed point very seriously. When you BR, BR every question until you’ve mastered it. So really take your time to cover what you do study very in-depth rather than rushing through it in order to cover more material. When you miss a question, don’t make excuses for yourself. It’s easy to write off a miss as a careless mistake, but there’s really no such thing. Extract 100% value from all of the material you cover. You’re at the level now that if you study at 96% efficiency, you can’t really expect to improve into the 170s which is the 97%. Your score will ultimately reflect your study habits more than anything. So study at the level you want to score.
    76 karma
    I would just like to add that my BR is usually 175/6, for some reference in answering my questions and addressing my concerns!