Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the LSAT help you prepare for the bar at all?

combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
in General 652 karma
Just curious. I know that they are very different tests but I was wondering if holding on to my LSAT material will be beneficial four years from now. Also which exam is more difficult?

Comments

• blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Simple answer: No.

The LSAT prepares you to think in a way that will benefit you in law school. Most will say not even law school prepares you for the bar, which is why people pay to take bar-prep courses. Both the LSAT and law school teaches you how to think about the law. The bar tests your knowledge of the law and is more a test of memorization over skill (unlike the LSAT). You should happily have a pyro-party and burn your LSAT material when you're done with it.
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    @blah170blah said:
    The LSAT prepares you to think in a way that will benefit you in law school.
    haha I'd argue that the LSAT doesn't even do this all that well.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Last year I interned with a handful of defense attorneys, and spoke with multiple judges. When I mentioned that I was studying for the LSAT, they all replied with 2 statements.
    1: "My condolences"
    2: "At least you'll never have to see it again after you take it"

I highly doubt it'll help with the BAR. If I'm not mistaken, the BAR simply tests your understanding of the law and whether or not you can apply it to novel or unique situations. The LSAT is a skills-based exam that tests your "law school skills" - or so they say.