PT72.S2.Q02 - archaeologist: for 2,000 years the ancient sumerians

westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
edited August 2016 in Logical Reasoning 3788 karma
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-72-section-2-question-02/
Does the stimulus in this question illustrate a causal relationship between the Sumerian's inability to support agriculture and its collapse? I'm wondering if the second to last sentence of the stimulus can indicate a mere correlation, that there were other factors that caused the collapse unrelated to agriculture. I'm just having trouble understanding if the causation was something indicated through indicator words or if it was implied based on the information of the stimulus.

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    bump~
  • jessicaljjessicalj Alum Member
    172 karma
    @westcoastbestcoast
    I think the stimulus indicates a causal relationship between the Sumerians' inability to support agriculture and the collapse of their civilization. "When", used in this context, would indicate causation. An analogous example would be: "When I eat ice cream too fast, it hurts my teeth."

Thus, the second to last sentence should be read as a factual premise. It links up with the information given about irrigation to support the conclusion in the last sentence. This should help make (B) look less tempting (assuming that's what tripped you up).
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    Hey @jessicalj Your example cleared it up for me. Originally, I didnt see when as a indicator of causation so I thought that other factors could be in the air. Thanks!