Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have a fear...

red416416red416416 Free Trial Member
in General 82 karma
I have a fear that come actual test day I will be nervous and revert to my old habits and everything I have taught myself will disappear, could this be possible?

Comments

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    You should definitely acknowledge the fact that you may be nervous and may be off your game a bit, but if you understand the logic behind the LSAT and consistently use your habits to strengthen your understanding, I don't think you will come even close to losing everything you've learned. A lot of previous takers note a drop in their score from PT averages to the real thing, but this is generally only a few points.

Also, the more you learn about the LSAT, the more confident you are in your understanding of it, which I believe in turn boosts your success on the LSAT. I can't imagine I won't be nervous at all come test day, but I am much more confident in taking the test than I was in the past, and that's because I am confident in my knowledge of the test. What you're describing could happen I think if you were to very prematurely take the test, but if you take it when you're ready, you will be fine.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @red416416

I share that fear with you, but at the same time there is nothing you can do about it. Yeah, I won't lie. It's totally possible. That is why we drill and practice test so hard for so long, so we can build confidence and go into the test ready to kill it.
    Habits are a double edge sword. Obviously good ones are good and bad ones are bad. The good news is that habits don't tend to just disappear because of stress/nervousness.

All we can do as preppers is really drive those good habits into our brain via practice tests and problem sets. Make sure we have a plan to attack any question type that might appear on the test. The LSAT is just the same 100 question test over and over. Sure there are going to be some oddballs, but make sure you have a plan if you get stuck on one (skip?).

If you find yourself getting nervous, take a few breaths and realize that it is eustress and your brain getting more energy to focus on killing that test.

Good Luck :)
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited August 2016 11542 karma
    The main thing you should take from the posts above is the more you expose yourself to stimulated PTs with legit BR, it should help rid of anxiety from test day. Honestly, no matter what you do nothing will 100% prepare you for what you're going to feel on test day. It's like giving birth (lol I'm going to be an aunt again tomorrow so that's all I'm thinking about!) you can prepare very well, and the more you prepare, the less anxious you'll feel and you'll know what to expect and how to take down the LSAT because you'll know it inside and out by that time, but it certainly won't diminish ALL the butterflies! It's ok, it's totally normal and it's something that should keep you focused and not too carried away in confidence. <-- overconfidence is never a good thing IMHO.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    PS - I read your subject line in MLK Jr.'s voice lol
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    PS - I read your subject line in MLK Jr.'s voice lol
    HAHA! "I have a fear...."
  • 181please181please Member
    edited August 2016 171 karma
    Well I guess it depends on what you mean by old habits.

I don't usually get test anxiety but since this is such a important part of my future and I just never know, I decided to start prepping for it anyway I can so the last few weekends I've been waking up as I would for the test, 5:30 am, do some sort of exercise, shower, eat a similar breakfast, dress in roughly the same clothes, account for traffic/commute, and take a timed test at a quiet and similar location (IE. Library). I don't know about other apps but the 7sage app has a proctor app that has background noise and distractions feature that you can control the level of distractions to also help.
  • red416416red416416 Free Trial Member
    82 karma
    Cool, thanks guys. Now, I have a dream ;)