PT69.S1.Q22 - company president: most of our

Tina ChoTina Cho Free Trial Member
edited August 2016 in Logical Reasoning 442 karma
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-69-section-1-question-22/
Hi, I have a question...
I eliminated B because of the word "most." If this says all or significantly large or something like that, it was easier to see it's the correct answer I think.
In the stimulus, it says "Most of our best sales....no experience."
How can we use B to weaken the "Most" in the stimulus?
I chose E, I know the word "some" is kind of weak, but I remember in some PTs I took before the correct answers included "some" (because other answers were not good compared to the ones).
Could anyone explain why B is good enough to weaken the "most" part in the stimulus and if there are other reasons, besides the "some" part in E, why E is wrong?

Thank you in advance,

Comments

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    In short, answer B isn't really weakening the "most" part of the stimulus. It's instead weakening the argument as a whole.

Here's the argument:
    Most of the best reps have engineering degrees but no experience. Thus, in the hiring process, we should favor those with engineering degrees but no experience over those with experience and no engineering degree.

What I'm looking for: The argument makes a pretty dubious assumption here: that having an engineering degree and no experience matters. It also assumes that it matters so much, that we should favor those people over people with the opposite credentials. But, do we know if having the degree and no experience is what actually makes those reps the best? We have no idea; in fact, we don't even know what type of company this is. What if the real reason those people are the best is because they have a very bubbly personality or are easy to talk to?

Answer A: Who cares when some reps completed their degree? We only care about having the degree of not having one.

Answer B: This is pretty good since it suggests that having an engineering degree and no experience isn't that big of a deal. If most of the reps hired fall under into this group, then it having a degree and no experience doesn't matter in favoring who to hire.

Answer C: Who cares about the credentials of the customers? We are talking about hiring employees.

Answer D: Who cares about the proportion of people who apply? We care about the step after that: hiring people with certain credentials.

Answer E: Do these people have engineering degrees or not? Since the answer to this question is crucial, this can't weaken the argument because we don't know if we are talking about people with degrees and no experience or people without degrees and no experience. Even worse, just for the sake of argument, say that these people DID have the engineering degree, it still doesn't weaken the argument since it isn't inconsistent with anything we are given. In other words, we know that "most" of the best reps had degrees and no experience; it could be the case that not all of them were great. Having 1 worker no be good at his job doesn't weaken this point.
  • Tina ChoTina Cho Free Trial Member
    442 karma
    Thanks for your explanation.
    I thought E is correct because by showing there are ppl did not good and those are without experience, it weakens the conclusion "...should favor applicants who have engineering degrees but little or no sales experience."
    Is E wrong because it does not talk about the degree? so those doing bad without previous experience, but they might not have degree nether.
    If the E says "Most" instead of "Some" would it be correct or still wrong because it does not refer to the degree issue?

Thanks