Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Struggling with Flaw question types

Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to seek some advice from other 7sagers on tackling Flaw question types.
I have gone over the syllabus a few times on these questions and even memorized the different flaws that could arise. However, I am still averaging around 45 to 50% correct when dealing with these questions. (got the score from my LSAT analytics).

Im following the two step test - 1) Facts 2) flaw but still struggle with these questions.

Can anyone recommend any methods you have used in trying to improve with these question types. Ive noticed these question types appear quite a bit on the LR sections.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Hey @sunnyp89 ,

https://7sage.com/webinar/flaw-intensive/

This webinar helped me nail down Flaws big time! I also recommend the LSAT Trainer if you are still having a bit of trouble with Flaws. That book gave me a great understanding on Flaws and it is the only LSAT book JY endorses. So that says a lot!

:)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    For me, it’s really important to know the answer before proceeding to the answer choices. If I read a flaw stimulus and don’t recognize the flaw, I immediately skip without even glancing at the answer choices. If you’re recognizing the flaws and just still missing the question, this will help. There’s a lot of different ways they can word the answer choices to obscure what they’re saying and knowing what you’re looking for is pretty vital with these. POE really isn’t very useful on these.

If you’re not recognizing the flaws to begin with, you’ve just got to practice until you’re seeing them. Review the lessons further and then drill some questions. Start with 1 and 2 star and drill, BR, watch the videos, and review curriculum as needed until you’re consistently getting them right. Then go through the same process with harder and harder questions until you’ve made flaw questions your jam.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Prephrasing the answer pays dividends for flaw questions. I make sure to write down the flaw and the possible ways it could be expressed before moving to the answer choices and compare the answer choices to the flaw I prephrased.
  • Swift777Swift777 Member
    83 karma
    The flaw is all about the support relationship between the Premise and Conclusion. Make sure you are able to correctly identify each component of the argument correctly first. Then try to see the gap between them, and pre-phrase them in your mind before attacking the questions. You should be spending the majority of your time analyzing the stimulus for each question, and much less time looking at the answers themselves.

It is very repetitive, so memorizing the 20 flaws is very useful. Getting a good handle on Method of Reasoning Flaws is very helpful too, because the answers in those help identify flaws for other questions.
  • sunnyp89sunnyp89 Member
    28 karma
    Thanks everyone for all the advice....

@Swift777 I took my time and focused on the stimulus. I realized I had a tendency to read stimulus but focused more of my attention on the answers.

@"Alex Divine" thanks for the link and will definitely be going over the LSAT trainer.

@"Cant Get Right" Its a bit of both. Sometimes I miss the flaw, other times I understand the flaw but fall for the answer choice. I went over Prep test 45 today and circled less of the flaws today. Will be BRing later on too see if the drilling and slowing down when I come across flaws is helping.

@blah170blah thanks will start to do that when BR and I'm sure it will come second nature dealing with these questions.