Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Methods to Approach RC

I don't know about any of you, but RC was my weakest section. I was shocked at this because I am a very good reader. What I have concluded is it was my weakest section because of attitude towards it, not because I don't understand the material. Ever since I changed my attitude about the section, my score improved. I tried really hard to be positive and WANT to do the section, rather than HAVING to do the section. I also tried to steer away from looking at the questions as simply questions and I started to look at it is as more of figuring out a puzzle ( answering the questions is putting the puzzle together). I found I was better able to interact with the passage and the questions.

Maybe I am actually just going insane, but I think attitude is everything.

Happy studying you smarties :)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @CenaBena said:

Maybe I am actually just going insane, but I think attitude is everything
    Could not agree more. And that is why I am so happy to be part of this community, because the positivity and support on here is unparalleled. And that helps keep a healthy mindset!

A good mindset is a necessary condition to doing well on the LSAT :)

Not crazy at all!
  • Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
    453 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    A good mindset is a necessary condition to doing well on the LSAT :)
    1000x YES!
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    edited August 2016 1024 karma
    I really like the puzzle comparison.

A huge thing for me was when I heard Nicole Hopkins say she had no thoughts on if a passage was hard or not, it was just another passage. At first I thought she was crazy but after doing more RC I understood what she meant.

They (test writers) have been doing the same thing over and over again just using new material and topics. After gaining this perspective I now have no idea if a passage is hard or not, it just is another passage to me.
  • CenaBenaCenaBena Member
    138 karma
    A huge thing for me was when I heard Nicole Hopkins say she had no thoughts on if a passage was hard or not, it was just another passage
    Yes! I agree @LSATKingsman. After doing SO many RC passages I tried hard to stop thinking about the difficulty. A few times I thought "this is so easy" and blasted through the questions really fast and got a lot wrong because I thought since the passage was "easy" the questions were easy. I now look at all passages the same, and I try to be excited every time :) It works!