Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PTs in the 60s (and other newer PTs)

KevinSageKevinSage Alum Member
in General 260 karma
.....what gives bro? I feel that these are so much harder than earlier ones that I've taken. I'm marking somewhere around 20 questions for BR in each LR section. Just took PT 66 and I feel like I just got rekt; felt like I was just reading words and not understanding them.

I've read that as you go higher in the PTs, the harder they get...but dang.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Yeah, different eras have their own distinct flavors. The newer tests tend to have a lot more subtlety in the answer choices. That's the main difference.

I will say though:
    @KevinSage said:
    felt like I was just reading words and not understanding them.
    This sounds an awful lot more like burnout than the subtle shift in PTs to me.
  • leejayleeleejaylee Alum Member
    218 karma
    The passage isn't as convoluted... So if you aren't understanding them, it does sound like a burnout as mentioned from @"Cant Get Right"

LR is definitely more subtle. I'm slowly making the transition from the PT 50's to PT 60's.
    RC I feel like got a bit easier for me? I don't know I used to average around -7 to -9, now I'm averaging around -5.

LG is pretty much still the same.

Those are my two cents.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    You'll get used to the newer tests soon enough. I've found that many of the new LR questions like to insert two flaws (one crucial to the reasoning of the argument) and find different ways to strengthen arguments. Sufficient assumptions are often more subtle m, whether the answer be hidden in some contrapositive.

Take a break if nothing at all is making sense to you. I agree with you possibly being burnt out.
  • KevinSageKevinSage Alum Member
    260 karma
    @leejaylee said:
    RC I feel like got a bit easier for me?
    Oddly enough, I kind of agree. RC is my worst section but I feel like I understand these passages a little better.

Perhaps y'all are right, maybe I need a little break. Gonna finish BR'ing this PT and put the books down for the weekend. I feel like burnout creeps up on me a little more easily than when I first started studying for this thing.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    felt like I was just reading words and not understanding them.
    This sounds an awful lot more like burnout than the subtle shift in PTs to me.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I had a terrible burnout episode around July 4th weekend and this is how it started. I found myself having to re-read stimuli and answer choices like 2-3 times sometimes just to understand them. It was torturous!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    @KevinSage said:
    I feel like burnout creeps up on me a little more easily than when I first started studying for this thing.
    Absolutely it does.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    It's pretty common for people to find the newer tests more difficult after getting used to earlier exams. Just give it time and really put the work in on your BR..you'll eventually adapt to the subtle differences.

I think it's really important to read effectively and deliberately on the new PTs. Don't focus on speed as much as efficiency..make sure you reading every word rather then flying through and potentially glossing over the subtleties. This could help with feeling like you're just seeing words without retaining anything