Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More PT's or More Intensive BR?

monika_pmonika_p Alum Member
edited August 2016 in General 194 karma
Hi 7Sagers,

I was hoping to get your advice on a current issue I'm having. I am signed up to take the September LSAT in about one month, and am PT'ing roughly in the 165's, trying to break 170. I unfortunately found out about 7Sage late in the game, and I had always been told that I shouldn't take PT's until right before the actual test. Of course, I've now learned that's ridiculous, and I should take at least 20-30 PT's before the real exam - but I only have 5 weeks left. (I started taking PT's 2 weeks ago, and have taken 5 so far.) My question: is it better to take a PT every single day (and blind review that same day), 6 days a week? Or, conversely, take a test one day, blind review the next, then take another PT the day after, and so forth. If I did it 6 days a week, I would complete 33 PT's by the test date; if I do every other, I'll have done 20.

Taking a PT AND BR'ing every single day definitely doesn't seem to be for the faint of heart, but it also seems there's a very high correlation between number of prep tests taken and score (I also do struggle a little with time constraints).

Any advice from you guys would be really REALLY appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @petkova said:
    My question: is it better to take a PT every single day (and blind review that same day), 6 days a week? Or, conversely, take a test one day, blind review the next, then take another PT the day after, and so forth. If I did it 6 days a week, I would complete 33 PT's by the test date; if I do every other, I'll have done 20.
    I don't think either option is good for you. Absolutely do NOT try to take a test every day and try to BR the same day. 3 a week is the maximum recommended and I think there is a lot of evidence to suggest that anything more will lead to diminishing returns. Just simply brute forcing through PTs without the proper time to rest your mind, review your mistakes, review the lessons you need, and absorb it all, it is useless. Just like weightlifting everyday won't help you build your muscles effectively, PT'ing everyday won't raise your score effectively.

I think you should consider withdrawing from the September test and just sign up when you are ready. Set a pace as 2 tests a week with thorough BR and see where that puts you. December? February? It doesn't matter when as much as making sure you are ready.
  • monika_pmonika_p Alum Member
    194 karma
    Thanks for replying! The reason I would not like to postpone is that I have already been studying about a year. I just graduated and am taking a gap year - taking it until December or February puts me at a disadvantage for this next admissions cycle. I'm also BR'ing in the 170's, and I think a fair amount of it is time constraint/mental fatigue, which I guess makes sense given I really haven't taken as many PT's as I should have...Thanks again for your advice! I think you're right. Hopefully prep testing and BR'ing at a steady pace will get me where I need to be. @"Alex Divine"
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @petkova said:
    I have already been studying about a year. I just graduated and am taking a gap year - taking it until December or February puts me at a disadvantage for this next admissions cycle.
    I hear ya! Just remember -- you don't have to apply this cycle. You may really want to, but you may decide that waiting is the best option.

But if you are Br'ing in the 170s than maybe you will be able to nail down your weaknesses and get yourself the score you want in September! You will learn a lot more by doing 10 tests and thoroughly BR than trying to cram in 25 and not spending adequate time on them.
    194 karma
    Also...follow up question: In the case that I am not ready and have to postpone until say the December test, would this be hugely detrimental to my admissions? I guess I've always known it's "bad" to be late in the cycle with rolling admissions, but I feel like a stronger LSAT score would more than compensate for it? thanks again for all your help :) @"Alex Divine"
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    @petkova Nope, it has almost become a myth that applying in December is harmful... Now of course applying early is usually "best", but applying in December with a higher score is ALWAYS the right answer according to consultants such as Mike Spivey. As a matter of fact, I asked the same question to Dean Meeker, an ex-dean of admissions for a top 10 law school, and current consultant for Spivey Consulting. This is my original question and his answer from June of this year.

Dean Meeker,

My question is regarding December LSAT/ Applications.

If I decide to take the December LSAT and apply when I get the results in January, how badly do I hurt my chances of application? I know that this is considered on the late side and all, but I am not feeling I will be ready to do as well in September as I would like.

Answer:

"Alex-

My advice is to wait and take in December if you're not feeling ready for the September test. BUT -- work on getting your applications completed before then. I'd still submit the applications by Thanksgiving if you can (or at the latest just after the LSAT in those first few weeks of December). I know that it means you'd be submitting applications without knowing your score, but it at that point you're feeling more confident about your score, better to get the apps in before January. The schools will begin processing your application when they receive it, and it will remain incomplete until they receive your score. But at least once they receive the score your application is ready to be forwarded to committee for review. If you wait until January to apply, you're delaying the processing of the application by at least a few weeks. Plus it is right after the holiday break - many admissions offices are closed for the week from Christmas to New Year's - so there is always a deluge of applications and mail when they return, so the processing time is even longer than it is in the fall.

Bottom line: better to apply with your best application in December than with a weaker application in October. The benefit of the higher LSAT score and overall stronger application will outweigh the benefit of an earlier application with a lower LSAT score."
  • CocoZhangCocoZhang Alum Member
    476 karma
    Taking the PT and BR'ing it on the same day is going to be really hard, especially when you are in the 165's. Even taking 3 PT's in 6 days and BR'ing on alternate day would be pretty hard to sustain. Like Alex, I would recommend taking the December LSAT instead.
    194 karma
    @"Alex Divine" omg that email was SO helpful, that really mellowed me down a little hahaha. @CocoZhang @"Alex Divine" thank you both for the input :) I think I will study with the mindset that I can get it done by September, but if I'm not ready, I will get my apps done early and then take it in December. Feeling a lot better about this!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @petkova said:
    @"Alex Divine" omg that email was SO helpful, that really mellowed me down a little hahaha.
    Glad to hear it! Relax, you got this! :)
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @petkova because the September test is coming so fast don't worry about the number of PT you take. Just make sure you get the most out of each BR. Really tear them apart. Don't skimp! 2-3 PT a week is enough. I'm glad you're more comfortable with postponing. I'm sure that relieves a ton of stress. Keep grinding for September and postpone if you have to. Good luck!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    @petkova said:
    was hoping to get your advice on a current issue I'm having. I am signed up to take the September LSAT in about one month, and am PT'ing roughly in the 165's, trying to break 170. I unfortunately found out about 7Sage late in the game, and I had always been told that I shouldn't take PT's until right before the actual test. Of course, I've now learned that's ridiculous, and I should take at least 20-30 PT's before the real exam - but I only have 5 weeks left.
    Oh man, I haven't read all the comments, but I'm assuming they say something along the lines of, "postpone!"