Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newer LG Sections

MsStateLSATMsStateLSAT Member
in General 105 karma
Is it true that the newer LG sections are easier than usual? I've heard that the most brutal LG sections are in the early 2000s. Is there any truth to this? June and February 2016 test takers (if there are any left) what kind of games did you run into on the actual test?

Comments

• StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Don't think that's true, I actually think the newer games are harder. They require more brute force.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @att88 said:
    Is it true that the newer LG sections are easier than usual? I've heard that the most brutal LG sections are in the early 2000s. Is there any truth to this? June and February 2016 test takers (if there are any left) what kind of games did you run into on the actual test?
    I think it is all subjective like the rest of the sections. I do think @StopLawying is correct that the newer games require more brute forcing. Whether or not that is makes is more hard for you will be subjective.
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    Oh lord there is no comparison. The games back in the day are super hard.

Snakes Lizards. Bus seats. Music Store. and Zephyr Air Lines... MY GOD THAT GAME...FU Zephyr. Anyways, in addition to that you have sets that are 4 really hard games PTC is a great example. I believe game two or three came out up the most creative way ever to give us a biconditional.

Games from the early 90's are just as hard. The way they give us rules is in a huge paragraph gives rise to a higher mistake potential. The icing on top is that minimal space they gave test takers to work with.

Now with ALL that said I do believe that the strategy to make inferences upfront and strategically work your way through a game really put the test writers in their place! Snap! Really though the games listed above aren't "Hard" per se. It is more the idea that they are unfamiliar and on test day it is clearly much harder to understand, setup, then solve a game type you have never seen or done previously.
  • MsStateLSATMsStateLSAT Member
    105 karma
    @LSATKingsman So you're saying that the newer games are, as a rule, more familiar? There is a smaller chance now that something unfamiliar or new will show up on test day?
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    @att88 well kind of.

The 50s into the 60s yes. They were (for the most part) relatively cookie cutter and fun in a way.

The 70s have so far brought us a few odd games. Not 'hard' per se just different. Dec 15' game 3 off the top of my head. What we don't see anymore are the long paragraph story type introductions as we used too. Also we get a lot more room to work with.

Disclaimer: The lsat writers could be doing anything for the next set of games so we have no idea what to expect...lol..

That's just my take though I'm sure others have a different view.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Yeah, I think all of this is fairly accurate. The trend seems to be potentially harder versions of more familiar games, with an occasional screwball game. But when there are weird game types (PT 77 G3) they're actually not that hard if you don't panic and just take the time to figure out what you need to do. As far as the most difficult games of all time- @LSATKingsman covered them well, although on a personal note, I've got to add Dinosaurs- I haven't seen anything like that in the 70's. The notorious 70's games are new, not particularly hard to work with. So we could see a "The Wizard" situation where they throw SMB3 at us; but I wouldn't expect a Battletoads or anything like that.

I will add though, a circle game is expected in the near future, so make sure to brush up on those, PT 41 especially which is the most recent and complex incarnation. They threw a circle onto a recent experimental, so it should be coming around.
  • MsStateLSATMsStateLSAT Member
    105 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" What is the average amount of time between a game showing up on an experimental and it showing up on the actual test? Is it a guarantee that a given game on an experimental will show up on an actual?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    You know I'm not actually sure about that @att88 . I'd be curious to know the answer to that as well.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    @att88 It is likely subjective dependent on individual's skill set, but I found older games harder and stranger.