Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone know if OLSAS keep Letters of Recommendations on file for an extended period of time?

DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
in General 760 karma
Does anyone know if OLSAS keep letters of recommendations on file for an extended period of time? I am wondering this because I applied a couple of years ago and I'm reapplying this year. If they keep letters on file, then i won't need to ask my professors again

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    If your account is still active (your account stays active for 5 years from your last LSAC purchase) they will be there.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    If your account is still active (your account stays active for 5 years from your last LSAC purchase) they will be there.
    I think LSAC and OLSAS are two different things.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    I think LSAC and OLSAS are two different things.
    Yeah, OLSAS is for Canada, eh.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    11542 karma
    Lol, I love my Canadians though :D
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Ha yep whoops!
    760 karma
    @montaha.rizeq @stepharizona Canadians are cool, but LSAC is better than OLSAS because we have to resubmit reference letters each year we apply because they purge everything after each cycle.
  • mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    @Nina_Lucas

I have the same exact question!! If you find out, please let me know. Otherwise, I will give OLSAS a call today and ask myself/share.
    631 karma
    @Nina_Lucas

Just called on my lunch break.

For privacy reasons, they shred and delete all documentation for each file every year. I applied November 2015 but didn't write the LSAT in time, forcing me to apply this November instead, and they said I have to get all of my documentation again... Totally sucks :(

Hope this helps.
    760 karma
    @mcmlaw36 they do not keep anything on file :( sadly. they purge everything after the end of the cycle
    760 karma
    @mcmlaw36 looks like we answered at the same time! yeah, it does suck. I have the exact same situation. got everything in except the lsat. good luck!
    11542 karma
    Aw I'm so sorry guys! Good thing you caught it before it was too late though.
    631 karma
    @Nina_Lucas Good luck to you too! Where abouts in Ontario are you, btw?

@montaha.rizeq Agreed :)
    edited September 2016 760 karma
    @mcmlaw36 London, you?
    @montaha.rizeq Canada needs to learn from the american system. I don't see why they need to be shredded for confidential reasons.... i was unable to access the letters in any way so if they kept it in their system it would have made no difference to me, except for the fact that it would make applying again easier by not having to worry about LoR again
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Yeah, I found LSAC more efficient than OLSAS when I applied.

(Btw, I think some Ontario schools don't ask for reference letters, so you could submit application to them, if still waiting for letters.)
    12637 karma
    @mcmlaw36 @Nina_Lucas Eyy, Ontario buddies!

I'm right in-between Ottawa and Montreal.
    @"Dillon A. Wright" haha i literally just e-mailed you!! nice to know you're from ontario too :) there are a lot of americans on here!
    12637 karma
    @"Nina_Lucas" said:
    haha i literally just e-mailed you!! nice to know you're from ontario too :) there are a lot of americans on here!
    Indeed! Born and raised in Quebec, though. Je suis francophone :)
    @"Dillon A. Wright" i lived in Montreal for 7 years :) my second language is french!