PT63.S1.Q14 -- You know those questions that make you rethink everything?

nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
edited September 2016 in Logical Reasoning 4141 karma
This question came up on the last BR group call this Wednesday. I'm really curious what you all think about this question! I'd also love to know what your strategies and approaches for tackling this question are. It's a point of disagreement question which (I was so confident that I knew how to easily identify the correct answer to and that I haven't had much of a problem with but it still) defeated me. With the help of some 7sagers I was able to understand what I did wrong. Thanks @Daniel.Sieradzki @twssmith Thom, and @"Cant Get Right" for helping me see my mistakes and convincing me not to go back and redo everything in the CC!

I wrote out a page --a love letter so to speak---for this question in an attempt to give myself the best chance of never making the same mistakes that I did on this question again. I was between choices B and D and I had issues seeing why the correct answer was correct.

Primarily, my first careless mistake was ignoring/not discriminating enough between the meaning of "to the satisfaction of ALL skeptics"..."ALL" I selected an ac with a massive red flag sweeping generalization. Second mistake-- not eliminating B because Chin does not address extrasensory perception in terms of "if it were a real phenomenon." My third failure was that I did not correctly apply the conclusion from Chin's statement (compared to Waller's) and the answer choice as to identify which point they disagree on.

It was interesting that on analytics this question has a high degree of difficulty and most people selected the same incorrect answer I did. So basically the test writers exploited my careless mistakes with the convoluted nature of the real answer choice....well played LSAC

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    @nessa.k13.0 said:
    I wrote out a page --a love letter so to speak---for this question in an attempt to give myself the best chance of never making the same mistakes that I did on this question again.
    This really is a great exercise. As you write more of these, you really start to notice trends which is the key to developing the ability to applying the lessons from one question to the next. It always sucks to miss a question you were confident on, but at the same time, it is the best opportunity we're ever presented with for learning to avoid errors and for ultimately increasing our scores. Glad you seized the opportunity!