Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone else hate Main Point and Method of Reasoning Questions?

combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
The only question types I find myself struggling with consistently

Comments

• MsM1998_MsM1998_ Alum Member
    117 karma
    Are you capable of identifying context, premises, and conclusion of an argument? If you work on improving that, I'm sure it will become easier for you to do those question types, as they seem to be easier than other types of LR questions (for me, anyway).
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @combsni said:
    The only question types I find myself struggling with consistently
    Hmmm... Yeah I agree with @yasincelik on this. Work on the fundamentals like finding the context, premises and conclusions. MP questions are basically just asking you to find the main takeaway/conclusion from the stimulus.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    Yes but I often get caught in the Shell Game. Usually, I am getting about 2 or 3 wrong on the LR as a whole and it's usually those types of questions.
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    I find the Method of Reasoning questions of more recent exams, like PT 78 to be more finicky. To the LSATs defense, its usually because I overlook a detail in a trap answer choice or dont do a thorough job of identifying what role the claim, which the question stem asks about, plays. Evaluating the relationship that the particilar claim plays with respect to the conclusion and support helped me get a better understanding.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Being able to diagram is huge for these questions (JY is so good at teaching how to do this) but I agree with you that they like to try and be ambiguous with language that feels like it could be justified multiple ways sometimes. Usually that means you are missing one piece like @westcoastbestcoast mentioned. I would definitely spend some time on 7sage working on your diagramming because there seems to be a lot of these types of questions on the recent PTs (or maybe it is just my faulty memory and the mix of question types hasn't changed).