Brooklyn College Proctors from hell - anyone else was there?

annaantonova1009annaantonova1009 Alum Member
in General 76 karma
Anybody here took the LSAT yesterday at Brooklyn College?

I had 4 proctors and they were running around the front of the room and whispering to each other very loudly. In fact 3 of them were talking while the timekeeper was reading the instructions. The absolute lack of respect was appalling. I raised my hand hoping to let them know that the talking is very distracting, but they were so busy talking that not one of them saw me raising my hand (I was wearing a bright orange sweater). After I wasted a good minute or two trying to get their attention, I gave up.

Oh and they tried to give us the wrong (4-digit) test center code. I saved the day by pointing out that it is a 5-digit code which is on out ticket. But how is it that 4 proctors don't even have the correct information???

I had to leave and cancel my score because I completely lost focus on that RC section and with 10 mins left I only completed 1 passage, which is not how I have been performing at all. This would have been my third and final take so I am extremely disheartened. Even if I am allowed to take the test again in Dec, I wouldn't be able to apply early in the cycle in Oct, which was my intention.

I am drafting my formal complaint to LSAC and hoping to get another chance. Hoping to find others who were there that could support my claim.

Comments

• nicole08nicole08 Member
    55 karma
    Just try to stay positive (easier said than done I know). I had a similar issue at my location back in June. The proctors were talking and laughing during the test and crinkling soda bottles, walking in and out etc. Like, can't you bring a book?! They had no respect for the fact that us students were taking a really important test. Keep your head up! :)
  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma
    Sorry this happened to you. I've heard such negative things about BC as a test center. Try going on toplawschools to see if you can scout some people who were there with you.
  • Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    2301 karma
    Yes, I agree with @TheMikey (where is your winking cat picture?), you should also ask on toplawschools and reddit. The more people, the stronger your case. I am very sorry this happened. I hope it gets resolved soon.
  • Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma
    So sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I sat for the exam last June at CUNY Law in Long Island City and found it to be a great test center. Long tables, bathroom nearby, and the proctors didn't make any mistakes on announcing time left and didn't chat it up.
  • annaantonova1009annaantonova1009 Alum Member
    edited September 2016 76 karma
    Thank you all! I will definitely turn to toplawschools and Reddit!
    76 karma
    And @TheMikey Brooklyn College is TERRIBLE!!!! The desks are tiny - the open test booklet does not fit fully on the top of the desk. No room for pencils, eraser, watch, etc. you're sitting on top of each other. Literally could see everyone's scantrons. Terrible terrible terrible. Do not recommend to my worst enemy.
  • Katherine-2Katherine-2 Member
    97 karma
    could you let me know how your complaint went when you got reply from LSAC? I had similar situation yesterday, but the whole room seemed not to be bothered but me. thx
  • taylor_michelletaylor_michelle Alum Member
    79 karma
    This is so awful. Doesn't sound like fair testing conditions at all. I took mine at the University of Lethbridge in Lethbridge AB and our proctors were great. Very knowledgable,completely silent during the test, plus i had at least 2 metres of desk space to work with since we got a giant room and had only 15 people taking the test that day. Compared to mine, it really doesn't sound like you had a fair shot.
    edited September 2016 76 karma
    thank you all. I will definitely keep ya'll updated. I'm glad you had great experiences those of you who did! I've taken it twice at Pace and New York Law and those test centers were amazing - respectful proctors, lots of space, silent. I should have read reviews about BK College since it turns out all the warning signs were there and that makes me nervous because I can't imagine my complaint would be the first - so why has the LSAC not addressed and fixed the problem if they cared?

It's just really devastating because like you said @taylor_michelle, I really did not get my fair shot. I was feeling really good on test day and was feeling so good at the start of the first section when I was breezing through those easy LRs, and to have my chance cut off by evil proctors is really really devastating to me. I've been studying for 2 years while working full time and I am just physically and mentally exhausted. This test has already kicked my butt, knocked me off from my "oh 175 won't be too difficult for me, NYU is def gonna be my safety" high horse. Having to go to battle with the LSAC over what I reasonably assumed was a basic right of a test-taker, is just the final straw.

This whole thing just feels like a cruel necessary assumption question. Like as a test-taker you assume your proctors would not be the cause of the disturbance, because otherwise how is that then a valid test administration? Yep, I need to stop thinking about the world in LSAT terms.
    76 karma
    @"Katherine-2" where did you take it? I'm monitoring the interwebz for any posts about disturbing proctors. I'll keep you posted if I hear of anyone from your center.

I was also surprised that no one said anything in my room, but it must be the group mentality. Everyone wants somebody else to do the unpleasant thing and confront the person who is in a position of authority. and nobody wants to be on the proctor's shit list. Its terrible that as a test-taker you were put into that situation. Including 2 bullets from my complaint that I hope will illustrate why being put into this position is absolutely unacceptable:

- Proctors are clearly in a position of authority in this situation, and deciding whether to challenge this authority under the already stressful circumstances of the exam undoubtedly causes additional stress and mental distraction that paralyzes the ability to perform
    - Test-takers rely on the proctors to assist them in handling any issues that may arise during an exam. When the distraction comes from the proctor, the test-taker has no choice but to seek a solution with no help. It is indisputable, that this is not how time during an LSAT exam should be spent.
  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma
    @Daniel.Sieradzki haha my cat pic stays on TLS ;)

Anna, yeah, sorry this happened to you. BC sucks as a TC and I've never heard anything good about it at all. If you end up retaking, I recommend Queens College or Pace university. I've taken at both and they were excellent! I've heard good things about NYLS and CUNY as well.
  • Katherine-2Katherine-2 Member
    97 karma
    @annaantonova1009 i know! i felt so stupid that i didn't say anything or request a change of seat (cause i was sitting in the first row where the proctors were). i did my test in hk.
    thx for the updates.