Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would you translate this?

in General 109 karma
Rosenberg cannot evaluate any introductory textbook until Juarez has evaluated that textbook? I would have guessed it would have been "until" so group three, so you negate sufficient so it would be R (intro book)--> J (intro book) but it is actually J intro book -> R intro book. Could someone please explain this?

Comments

• MsM1998_MsM1998_ Alum Member
    edited September 2016 117 karma
    Not too sure about the conditional indicators but what I took from that sentence is that "if Juarez has evaluated an introductory textbook, then Rosenberg can evaluate the introductory textbook". I came up with this because the only way for Rosenberg to evaluate a book is if Juarez has evaluated it. Not too sure how else I can explain my reasoning, but yeah. I didn't pay so much attention to the indicator as much as making sense of the sentence.

Also to be clear, I haven't yet finished the CC myself, so someone else may be able to provide a better response.
  • JSL17824JSL17824 Alum Member
    edited September 2016 141 karma
    @karina.shaw said:
    Rosenberg cannot evaluate any introductory textbook until Juarez has evaluated that textbook? I would have guessed it would have been "until" so group three, so you negate sufficient so it would be R (intro book)--> J (intro book) but it is actually J intro book -> R intro book. Could someone please explain this?
    If you mean the conditional relationship, i think you are right:
    "Rosenberg cannot evaluate any introductory textbook(REIT)" until "Juarez has evaluated that textbook(JEIT)" = REIT until JEIT = REIT -> JEIT

Otherwise,
    JEIT -> REIT = If Juarez has evaluated intro book, then Rosenberg evaluate that intro textbook. = Only if Rosenberg has evaluated the intro textbook, Juarez can evaluate that textbook.= Juarez cannot evaluate any introductory textbook until Rosenberg has evaluated that textbook.
    =\= original statement.

Actually it reverses the conditional statement.

But, if it's a logic game in sequence, you know that (REIT -> JEIT) means only if JEIT, REIT, so it would be: JEITREIT