Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone want to swap personal statements?

mk940808mk940808 Alum Member
in General 209 karma
Hi! We're all obviously very heavily invested in our PS's and I thought it would be extremely useful to have semi-anonymous feedback from each other. Would anyone be interested in swapping and reviewing?

Also, if anyone has any knowledge on this, are there any differences in what different law schools look for in the PS?

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    You can send your PS over to me :)
    And usually the law school doesn't have a specific PS requirement so the floor is open to whatever you'd like to write about. Surprisingly, I've found that the more interesting personal statements are those that write about an impactful circumstance or event that occurred to the writer as opposed to just a "why law school" essay. Either is fine though. I've seen really good essays from both. Whatever you choose, keep in mind that it must write about you directly.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma
    Some law schools, especially T-14 schools, offer open-ended prompts. Others want to know why you want to be a lawyer. The cardinal rule is that you should tell a story. Even if you're writing about your motivation, you should tell a story about your evolving interest in law.
  • mk940808mk940808 Alum Member
    209 karma
    @david.busis Yeah seeing how open-ended the prompts are I've been really confused.Thanks so much for the advice!

@montaha.rizeq Yayy okay I'll send it over right now!! I've been trying to cull out every sentence that doesn't pertain directly to me so let's hope it's working! It's really hard to figure out objectively whether I've succeeded in doing this so I really appreciate your perspective :)
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma
    @mk940808 You're allowed to explain why you want to be a lawyer even if the prompt is open ended.
  • MaxineSPMaxineSP Alum Member
    83 karma
    I'm not finished with mine yet but I'd be happy to review yours!
  • mk940808mk940808 Alum Member
    209 karma
    @MaxineSP I'll incorporate some of the suggestions and send it to you :) Could you message me your email? And send me yours when you're ready!