Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I bother with a Diversity Statement?

Hey everyone,

TL;DR: Should I, as someone from the UK, write a diversity statement?

So the long version of my question is what exactly counts as 'diverse' in the sense of law school admissions? I've seen the usual indicators - socio-economic disadvantage, race, etc. I don't tick any of those boxes, but I imagine that since was born in the UK and have lived and studied (BA and MA) here my whole life I could contribute something (relatively) unique to any given US law school. Add to this my relatively unique education, with respect to the UK system, I think there's not many of me knocking about each admissions cycle! (haha)

Should this be something I elaborate on in a diversity statement? Or am I over-thinking things? I'm a middle-class white dude (putting it crudely), so should I just leave it? Hoping you guys can help!

All the best.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    When you say you have lived and studied "here" your whole life, is that referring to UK or US? If you've lived your whole life in UK, then I think you can absolutely make a diversity statement out of that.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    If you feel you bring a unique perspective to the study of law, I say write one.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    edited October 2016 7262 karma
    TL;DR: Only if you can write an awesome one.

Some people advise you to write one no matter what, but I think they forget why diversity statements exist in the first place: not to give you a second bite at the apple (essay-wise), but (duh) to help the adcom put together a diverse class.

On the bell curve of diversity statements by applicants who aren't diverse in the traditional sense, one tiny end represents essays that actually add to an applicant's profile, another tiny end represents essays that probably irritate admissions officers, and the big fat middle represents essays that neither improve nor hurt your standing.
  • Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Yes, I meant the UK - sorry that wasn't clear!

@"david.busis" That's really helpful. Thanks. I think if I can put together a good one I'll submit one as appropriate. My UGPA (by my conversions from UK grades to a GPA) is somewhere between the 25th and 50th percentile of the places I'm looking at, so I believe I'm going to need to try and find every edge that I can in my application (since that GPA isn't going to change).
  • CalPoliSciCalPoliSci Member
    236 karma
    Do you really think UK culture is so different from American culture that you'd contribute an uncommon perspective in the classroom? That is the question you should be trying to answer when writing this essay. What are you contributing to the classroom?
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @david.busis what would irritate admissions officers? Is it just that the person is not in fact underrepresented group?
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma
    @DEC_LSAT If I had thousands of applications to read, I'd be irritated (1) by someone overselling her "diversity", and (2) by someone who made me read an essay that didn't tell me anything relevant or interesting.