Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I did not score so well, feeling very bummed :(

CiscoDiscoCiscoDisco Alum Member
in General 12 karma
First, congratulations to everyone who did great. Very proud of you guys and also thank you 7sage for your courses. I have never been the best taker. I studied my butt of the last past 4 months. It was my first time taking the test, I scored a 136 :(. I am extremely bummed. Law school has been my dream. I am sorry I am venting, I am on this journey by myself. Can you guys please give me advice of how to approach restudying? I spent countless hours and working two jobs did not help. I am going to retake it in December and clear my schedule. Do you guys think it is realistic to do well by then?

Comments

• KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma
    december is too close if you are looking at 160 or more.
    whats your goal?

p.s. you are not alone in not scoring where you want to be.
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    My honest advice is to push your timeline back. I definitely think that through hard work you can achieve the score you desire, but that is a huge jump to try to make in six weeks.

Before talking about restudying, you first have to figure out "what went wrong" the first time. Was this score a surprise to you? Were you doing prep tests under timed conditions? Did you take a diagnostic? If you answered no, then this is obviously a serious issue. The hardest part about the LSAT is the time constraint and the stamina needed to get through, and the best way to practice is to just keep forcing yourself to take practice runs. If you were, how far off were you from your PTs? You don't have to post this if you don't want to, but it is good to compare if it was way off.

I am curious: How exactly did you study? Did you go through all of JYs videos in the core curriculum? I'd love to discuss this more, but as I said if you wish to devise a NEW study plan moving forward, the best thing to do is take a step back and talk/think about why your past methods didn't work. Stay positive and keep trying; you'll get it!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @CiscoDisco said:
    Can you guys please give me advice of how to approach restudying? I spent countless hours and working two jobs did not help. I am going to retake it in December and clear my schedule. Do you guys think it is realistic to do well by then?
    I would take my time and start from a "tabula rasa" mindset; or blank slate. Start from the first lesson of the 7Sage curriculum and treat it like a part-time job or college class with the LSAT being your final. Take notes, show up to learn, and work hard!

I don't think December is a realistic amount of time to prep properly. Don't worry about the temporal aspect of the test. Prep and be consistent and sit for the test again when you are hitting your goal score consistently.
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    Hey @CiscoDisco !

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I was in a very similar situation last year as you are right now. I worked two jobs, was finishing school, and felt like I've studied my butt off for months (I did self-study through the bibles and really didn't get it and had terrible foundations). I took the December LSAT (while also dealing with a cold on top of everything) and totally bombed it too (got a 142). It happens.

Honestly I was so set on starting law school this year, I was completely CRUSHED when I saw my score last year. I knew there was no way I was going to be able to go to one of my reach schools.

So, here's my honest advice for you: Since you're scored a 136, that is a good indicator that your fundamentals are weak, and you will most likely not be able to get a much better score by December. OR do you think this was a total fluke and you've been consistently scoring higher? That would be a very different situation. What have you been scoring in your PT's and what's your goal score?
    If law school is truly your dream, consider retaking next year. You will be able to give yourself SO much more time to study and really, really work on your fundamentals and get that dream score you want so bad. It's a tough pill to swallow, but it'll be worth it.

I'm personally just the most horrible standardized test taker, and it's taken me a lot of hard work to get where I am right now (and I'm still not really close to my goal score), but I'm hoping the hard work will pay off. Do not feel like you can't do it, know that you can! It just takes some time. I think you may be surprised at how long some of the excellent test takers on here have been studying for this test. Some people need at least a year or more to reach their full potential. We're all different.

Feel free to message me if you have some more question on my study process, or just need a friend to talk to for a pick-me up. It's hard when you don't have mutual friends that understand what it's like to study for the LSAT. Keep your head up!