PT27.S4.Q23 - much of today's literature is inferior

Giant PandaGiant Panda Alum Member
edited October 2016 in Logical Reasoning 274 karma
Dear all,

The question video is here: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-27-section-4-question-23/

And my question relates with the word "promising".

From the analysis of the paragraph, the context doesn't give anything of significance. Likewise, the word "promising" too.

But during exam, and under pressure, how do you exactly interpret the word: promising?

If X is promising then X must be good compared to the general sample right?

Please let me know your thoughts and much appreciated.

Thanks,

Panda

Comments

• Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @"Giant Panda" I would personally try to avoid using conditional logic for this question. There are not much of conditional indicators. Under time pressure I will notice two very general things.

First, promising is not the same term as good literature and I am not permitted to equated these two terms. LSAT test writers get paid to make sure each word is there for a reason and it is not by accident that there is shift from good literature to promising which means I do not get to infer anything from these two.

Second, notice how stimulus started so general (much of today's literature) but it shifts to focus on Hypatia and goes on to compare her promising work with her earlier works not most authors, or much of today's literature. Keeping these two in my mind, I head to answer choices, only thing that I know Hypatia managed to improve compare to herself only.

Maybe Hypatia used to be a very bad fanfiction writer worse of today's writers and his last work turns her to a mediocre writer among all of the today's inferior writers. We really do not know much. They are beating you to read too much into promising by bringing your own assumptions and they tr to set you up by talking about other things that feed into those biases. Do not play their game.

Under time pressure I just notice the term and subject shifts as well as comparative statement. I will be itching to eliminate answer choices for smallest mistake words like most or going beyond stimulus scope. If it happens I end up eliminating all answer choices I will guess(pick least bad answer) skip the question, mark the question and come back into it if I have time at the end.

I hope this helps.
  • Giant PandaGiant Panda Alum Member
    274 karma
    @"Not Ralph Nader" Much appreciated for the analysis especially for pinpointing on the importance of noticing the transition from general to detail this is wonderful.

Thanks.