Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR Crash Course

legal_namelegal_name Alum Member
in General 277 karma
Hey everyone!

Decided to write in February again. Thought I was doing well with the BR method prior to writing in September. Managed to get down to about -4/5 per LR section (which is okay for my goal score) however I ended up losing several more points per LR section than expected on PT79.

Was hoping to get input on additional prep materials for this section? (I will continue to use the BR method in the meantime).

Comments

• Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2016 2098 karma
    @legal_name Since you did not mention anything about running out of time, I assume you manage to finish the section within allocated time; please correct me if I am wrong. I would suggest to use the Analytics to focus on your question types that give you the most trouble. My LR score improved after exclusively focusing on flaw questions for a week.

If you already know your weakness area and focused on them and also BR them thoroughly, I would suggest to watch J.Y. explanations for all LR questions in a each LR section you take from now on; you already have the Ultimate+ why not use it. I just recently started to watch all the LR explanations and find them useful, in most of them J.Y. shows how to eliminate cookie-cutter answer choices quickly.

My last but not least use the online stopwatch to push yourself to finish the section under 35 minutes so you can get back to harder questions. You can do so by taking LR sections from PT 1-35 (or LR sections from PTs you already took preferably PT70 and higher) and do them individually while using a timer with loop countdown function. Set the timer on 70 seconds and 25 loops when it is past 70 seconds circle the question choose an answer choice and move on, you will have 5 minutes extra time at the end of the section to go back to the circled questions.

Online Stopwatch with Loop-countdown
    http://www.online-stopwatch.com/loop-countdown/

I hope this helps you.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    I doubt you need new materials. You need to use what you have more effectively. What do you think went wrong on test day?
  • legal_namelegal_name Alum Member
    277 karma
    I ran out of time for one question on the first LR section @"Not Ralph Nader" because despite warming up, I think nerves got me. Thank you for your suggestions.

@"Cant Get Right" I'm speechless. I re-did the sections today under proper conditions and made significantly less errors than I had the day of the test.There were a bunch of really silly mistakes I made on NA questions. I am suspecting the pressure forced me to misread in some way. If I usually have a pre-phrased answer (as was the case today), I specifically remember being blindsided on the test and being unable to come up with a single possibility. I know I went wrong by diving in head first out of fear for wasting time during the test. Thing is, I am really good about writing my PT's in test-style conditions and I wasn't overly anxious on test day either.