Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Test Center Review] Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY

annaantonova1009annaantonova1009 Alum Member
edited October 2016 in Test Center Reviews 76 karma
Proctors:
Awful. I had 4 proctors (although I think one was a son of another proctor and not a proctor himself). We sat around for at least 30 minutes before we started filling out the Scantron. The main proctor who was reading the directions was rushing us because we were clearly behind schedule. Then they gave us the wrong Test Center number and we had to wait until the figure out what the correct number is. Then the three other proctors were talking over the timekeeper as she was reading the last timing instructions (you will have 35 mins to complete the section, etc, etc). And then they would not shut up for 2 sections. (I left after section 2 because I lost my focus and bombed RC). They also kept walking around the front of the room and in and out of the room while the test was in progress. It was extremely distracting. I raised my hand to ask them to be quiet and they ignored me for several minutes after which point I gave up. It literally sounds crazy to retell this story (on what planet do test proctors talk for over an hour??), but I assure you that this is real life. They seemed to be disorganized and confused.

Facilities:
Old, shabby, public university. No distractions other than the proctors. No noise outside or in the hallway. Th bathroom seems to be close enough to the room, but i did not need to use it. They have vending machines in case you forget a snack.

What kind of room: Classroom with individual fold-over desks

How many in the room: I'd say around 40. Way too many for the size of the room. Although there were enough desks, we were packed too tight together. I could easily see the papers of the people in front and to the sides of me. it was also distracting to be seated so close to other people.

Desks:
Awful. They had these tiny fold-over school desks that are not big enough to fit an open test booklet. No room for scantron, extra pencils, eraser, ,watch etc. I had to hold my eraser and extra pencils in my lap. I kept worrying about my scantron falling from under my booklet.

Left-handed accommodation: Some lefty desks were available

Noise levels: Other than the proctors, I didn't experience any other distractions

Parking: Not sure, didn't drive

Time elapsed from arrival to test:
1-1.5 hours. We stood in line for about 20 minutes. But the check-in was excruciatingly slow. I would say at least 30 minutes just to check in and seat my room. Then we sat in the room for a while while they figured out the test center number, distributed the booklets, etc.

Irregularities or mishaps: none, other than the proctors talking and not knowing the correct test center number.

Other comments: Avoid this test center at all costs. All the warning signs were there, but I didn't bother to read the reviews.

Would you take the test here again? Absolutely not.

Date[s] of Exam[s]: September 2016

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @annaantonova1009 said:

Would you take the test here again? Absolutely not.

My buddy took here in Sept and mentioned the same problems with the proctors leaving and entering the room during the exam. I thought that was so messed up.

Sorry for the bad experience :(
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @annaantonova1009 said:
    (although I think one was a son of another proctor and not a proctor himself
    Uhhh....that sounds like a violation lol. Honestly given how important this test is, I would bring this to the attention of LSAC.
  • annaantonova1009annaantonova1009 Alum Member
    76 karma
    @"Alex Divine" yep. thanks for the solidarity. I was in utter disbelief because this kind of behavior is so out of the realm of expected test-day conditions. Wish I had known about your buddy - would have been great to have another voice to corroborate my story. I was only able to find one other person who took it at BK College that day and his proctors were not talking to I guess he was lucky to be in a different room. Sounds like your buddy might have been in my room though - hope they didn't get to him and he did well!

@montaha.rizeq I'm sure it is, but it's just a hunch (the guy looked very young and a lot like another proctor, and he behaved like he was out of place, didn't interact with the other proctors, and just had very youthful mannerisms, but I don't have any real evidence to "tell on them"). There was so much wrong with this administration that I needed to pick and choose my battles when I complained to LSAC requesting a retake. I didn't want to sound whiny by giving them a whole laundry list of grievances, so I relied on the strongest arguments. I was more concerned with the talking than the fact that somebody's teenage son had nothing better to do on a Saturday than help his mommy proctor an exam haha