Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you catch yourself making simple mistakes?

in General 308 karma
So i'm taking the December test with a goal of 164-165+ and I really feel as though I'm ready. I sometimes take PT's and make such silly errors though. For example, I usually get the easy questions correct but on my most recent PT, i missed a 1/5 star question for logical reasoning and a 2/5 star question. I know those ratings aren't fully accurate but it's just that i'll sometimes miss that very "easy" question but then get the harder ones correct. Does this happen to anyone? Because upon review, its so obvious what the right answer is but once in a while, ill just get an easy one or two wrong and it bothers me a lot haha because I just feel like I could've gotten a higher score had I not missed those "easy" ones.

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Bumping so more people can see!
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    I've had some embarrassing slips myself. Just gotta pay attention. I find it also helps to ask what LSAC is testing for in each question. Im concerned if my answer choice doesn't fit a classic mold.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Artak Mamikonyan" said:
    i'll sometimes miss that very "easy" question but then get the harder ones correct. Does this happen to anyone?
    Yep, happens to me! It's really as simple as paying close attention to what's in the answer choices and not to overlook any of them because it seems "way too easy."
  • Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma
    @"Artak Mamikonyan" said:
    Does this happen to anyone? Because upon review, its so obvious what the right answer is but once in a while, ill just get an easy one or two wrong
    This has definitely happened to me as well. It's the most frustrating thing to go back and BR it because you instantly recognize the oh-so obvious answer choice. It can happen because I initially misread something or because I have been staring at similar LR questions for days on end and eventually, my brain just sorta burns out and forgets how to function. I have to force myself to take a break from that question (or LSAT studying altogether) for a day or two so that I can "re-calibrate."
  • 308 karma
    @bswise2 Taking a break might actually be a good solution because when I come back later with a fresh mind during BR, i easily catch my errors and see what went wrong. It's just frustrating when you make silly errors and jeopardize your score as a result but I'm sure it happens to us all.
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    edited November 2016 645 karma
    First, I think all LR questions are tricky to some extent. Even if a question is 1 star and 89% of 7sagers got it right, it's only "easy" on a relative basis.

Second, lack of focus (whether due to fatigue, distractions, etc.) will neutralize any amount of skill. This is why even Steph Curry misses free throws.
  • 308 karma
    @"Stevie C" No, i definitely agree that they're all difficult in their own right but I just mean like they're "easier" relative to the tougher questions that usually come up later during an LR section.

I agreed with all of your insight except the Steph Curry part and that's just because I'm a Cavs fan haha.