Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting a facilitated LSAT study session over Skype this Sunday, 11am-1pm PST!

lsattutorinlalsattutorinla Free Trial Member
edited July 2014 in General 33 karma
Message me if you would like to join!

We are planning to meet this Sunday, July 6th from 11am-1pm PST. This will likely become a weekly study group (depending on how the first session goes), and we will refine our schedule according to the group's strengths and weaknesses. The plan is to emphasize group discussion and teaching each other (which JY heavily emphasizes as well - the best way to make sure you really understand something is to be able to explain it to someone else) as we go over PT questions.

I would like to keep the group small and we already have a few people interested. But, comment here or message me if you are interested and we will try it out this week!

Skype handle: lsattutorinLA

Comments

• vandyzachvandyzach Free Trial Member
    358 karma
    Hey, I'm highly interested!

Are y'all going over a PT? If so, which one? Or just certain games or problems?
  • lsattutorinlalsattutorinla Free Trial Member
    edited July 2014 33 karma
    @vandyzach Awesome! The study session for this first week is less structured since I would like to first get a sense of everyone's strengths and weaknesses. We will likely be doing a mini lesson on LR, followed by a short Q&A, and then spending the remaining time discussing PT JUNE '07 (since everyone has access to that.) After the first week, we will have a more set structure and we will discuss beforehand which PTs will be covered the following week!

How does that sound to you? I'm open to feedback and the schedule is not yet set so we can change it up :).
    358 karma
    @tutorinla

Sounds perfect! I just created a Skype account (sad that I don't yet have one, I know) and I'll "be there" Sunday (figuratively speaking of course).

I think I added you as a contact or something (sorry for being a technological idiot).

Looking forward to being a part of the study group! Thanks so much Tutorinla!
    358 karma
    Also, I should go ahead and disclose this: I have a pretty noticeable southern accent. You may find it endearing or you may find it annoying, so just be prepared :)
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    I am very interested, I added you on skype (chrijani) with a note so you know who it is. Please keep me posted of any changes that may occur! Looking forward to this! ps: just a heads up, this is my first time doing this kind of thing so I am very interested to see how it turns out.
    33 karma
    @vandyzach I'm intrigued to hear the southern accent! What's your background on the LSAT btw (in terms of strengths and weaknesses in LR/LG/RC) - do you have a preference for us to focus on a specific section or topic?

@chrijani7 - I got your request! We're friends now :). I will let you know if anything changes!
    358 karma
    @tutorinla

I have been studying for a good while, and I am currently PTing around 160ish (although I started WAY lower than that).

Breakdowns are all over the place. I usually miss around 6 per LR section, and I am hitting LR review really, really hard to try and get it down. I usually don't even get to 2 questions per LR section because of time, so I am working to fix that as well with heavy reviewing.

My RC and games is what's all over the place. My RC has fluctuated between -5 and -11. My games have fluctuated between -4 and 10. I am working hard to get games down with 7sage's fool-proof method, but it's the rare, oddball games that usually kill me (although it's a crapshoot, some of them I get, some I don't). I am drilling RC to improve as well. 7sage memory method is awesome and I am just starting to use it, so hopefully I will improve on RC as well.

I have only taken a few full-length, timed PTs (I did alot of "drilling" of sections before I started taking full-length PTs) and all of the ones I have taken have been old. I haven't taken anything past Jun 2004.

I hope to find my place on 7sage as someone who started really low and made huge gains, but I'll have to improve a little bit more to be able to do that ;)

And for the record, I have absolutely no preference what we talk about on Sunday. I can still improve on all three sections lol.

Where are you study-wise?
  • selinaselina Alum Member
    73 karma
    I would love to join lsattutorinLA I will add you as a contact on Skype tonight. I just learned about inferences and started to diagram. I consider myself to be really early in the studying stage as I am still going through the lessons. So... maybe it won't work out for me to join.
    @vandyzach just throwing this out there, but would you feel comfortable leading the group in a game on Sunday? (as in you pick a game from June '07 (or any oddball games that are difficult for you), do it at least once before Sunday, and then go through the steps with the group (we would help you if you needed it at all)) - if you are looking to improve your score, being able to explain it to others may really help solidify your understanding and in turn allow you to shave off the time it takes you to complete a game. No pressure though if you don't feel comfortable!

I am in a similar boat in terms of breakdown by section - I am consistently strongest in LR and have the most room for improvement in RC, so we can definitely spend a lot of time on that on Sunday!

"I hope to find my place on 7sage as someone who started really low and made huge gains, but I'll have to improve a little bit more to be able to do that ;)" --> I have faith in you, and hopefully the study group will help you get there faster!

@Selina - that's fine! Join us this week for now, and we can decide together how we want to move forward if there's too much discrepancy between our levels.
  • selinaselina Alum Member
    73 karma
    lsattutorinla that sounds good! We can see how it goes.
    358 karma
    I'd be happy to do that, tutorinla!

I can pick one of the games from 2007 (haven't looked at those in months) or I could pick a gnarly game from one of the superpreps that I just got in the mail today! I'm betting there's a tough game in there...

We can go over any LR problems or RC passages as well. My RC is all over the place but ever since I instituted 7sage's memory method, I've been getting less 6 wrong per RC section (not great but way better than when I tried to speed through the passages).

Just in case you want some other stuff, I'll have some LR problems picked out that I find really difficult and we can go through those if you want. And I'll for sure have a tough, oddball game picked out for this Sunday.
  • anne2hoanganne2hoang Free Trial Member
    226 karma
    I am excited to meet all of you guys.

So which PT will we be covering?
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    June 2007!
    827 karma
    ^ is this true?
    33 karma
    @vandyzach That's great! Please let me know in advance what you choose in terms of the game for Sunday and possible LR questions. I'd like to take a look at it as well and give a heads up to those who are planning to join us on Sunday. (I just sent you a message, please respond there when you get a chance!)

@chrijani7 @anne2hoang Yes! we will be covering the PT from JUNE 07, and possibly a game from another PT (not yet determined, but I will keep you posted.) If you've already done the June '07 PT (which I'm assuming most of us had - if not, just make sure you are at least somewhat familiar with it before Sunday) come ready on Sunday with some questions that gave you trouble.
    Just a heads up to anyone else interested in joining us tomorrow - the group is getting pretty big, so I'm not adding anyone to the group at this point. If you're interested, message me, and if a couple people don't show up tomorrow and we have room, I will add you for next week. If you are interested in a study buddy (as opposed to a study group) I'd be open to doing that as well, just let me know!

Everyone else, see you tomorrow at 11am PST.

@chrijani7 @anne2hoang @Al[^-^d] @vandyzach @Selina @kingofclubs323 @lschoolgo
  • eunicehk0903eunicehk0903 Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    Hi guys, is this too late to join the study group?
    358 karma
    Great study session this afternoon.

I definitely want to continue these sessions, especially with LR.

One thing I took away from today was that study sessions seem to be really effective for LR. LSAC has a way of wording arguments so that sometimes you can't really tell that it's really just a simple argument, but having someone else explain it to you can really help!
    33 karma
    @vandyzach glad it helped! thanks for leading the discussion on LG!
    827 karma
    Agree with Zach! The LR was really helpful! Just hearing other peoples thought process when they saw a question stem helped me see things I may have overlooked or what I should be looking for.
  • dbuurmasjsudbuurmasjsu Free Trial Member
    4 karma
    Any new study groups
  • SoCal JaporeanSoCal Japorean Free Trial Member
    edited August 2014 147 karma
    If someone wants to facilitate another skype online study group, then I'm sure there are lots of people who want to join.

I am willing to facilitate the first meeting and to organize the first meeting.

We can do Prep test 32 with an emphasis on LR. I think that a small group with a score of 155 - 160+ would be very helpful to a lot of people. We could coordinate for this Sunday at 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM PST for August 17th.

Message me if you are interested in attending or you can mail me at Jwongemologist@gmail.com

-Thanks