Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feedback on LSAT Addendum

ethaaaanethaaaan Alum Member
in General 276 karma
Hello All–

I'm working on an addendum to include with a few of my applications about a decent difference (6 points, 10 percentile) in scores between 2 consecutive takes. Any feedback would be appreciated, here's what I have so far:
------------------------------------------------------------
During the June 2016 LSAT administration, I experienced several compounding issues that resulted in a score I feel is unrepresentative of my ability. Due to a large number of test-takers, the check-in, seating, and test material distribution processes took a significant amount of time. There was an approximate two-hour period of time between entering the testing room and commencing the first section of the exam, during this period I was unable to drink water or use the restroom. Although I was able to access my water during the break, I was already experiencing physical symptoms of dehydration that only worsened during the second half of the exam. As my physical condition worsened, my performance on the exam was significantly affected; notably in the final section of the exam, where I missed more questions than the first three scored sections combined.

Comments

• rachelrachel Alum Member
    207 karma
    I don't have personal experience with applications yet, but from what I've read, it's best to be very brief with addenda. I'd suggest simplifying this with something like: "I believe my June 2016 LSAT is not reflective of my abilities due to circumstances stemming from a two-hour delay in my exam's start time, which led to severe dehydration. The dehydration's effect on my performance on that exam was evidenced by my score on the final section, which included more incorrect answers than the first three sections combined."
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    I concur with Rachel's suggestion and efficiency.

If you are going to utilize an addendum, I would also suggest adding "true," or some synonym thereof, between "my" (yours) and "abilities" in the sentence: "2016 LSAT is not reflective of my abilities due to..." Or, perhaps, "true capabilities" might be best.

You're advocating for your "true abilities" (or: accurate, actual, or, genuine, etc...), or true capabilities, which you feel were not adequately reflected that particular day.

Best of luck.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @rachel nailed it!

Be concise and avoid unnecessary details. Also, adding in "true abilities" like @ScooterMinion says makes a great deal of sense.

• ethaaaanethaaaan Alum Member
    276 karma
    @rachel @"Alex Divine" @ScooterMinion
    Thank you all so much for your feedback! I've incorporated the suggestions into a new version I've included below, please let me know if you have any other suggestions!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    During the June 2016 LSAT administration, I encountered circumstances that resulted in a score I feel is not reflective of my true abilities. A two-hour delay between entering the testing room and beginning the first section of the exam, without access to water or a restroom, caused me to become severely dehydrated as the exam progressed. The negative effects of dehydration on my performance is clearly evidenced by my results on the final section, which included more incorrect answers than the first three scored sections combined.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    I would include something in the end like "thinking back, not cancelling my score was a mistake, but I am satisfied with my December LSAT score and feel it is a better representation of my abilities." or something like that.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Alejandro said:
    I would include something in the end like "thinking back, not cancelling my score was a mistake, but I am satisfied with my December LSAT score and feel it is a better representation of my abilities." or something like that.
    Something like this does seem to be a good idea.

@ethaaaan said:
    During the June 2016 LSAT administration, I encountered circumstances that resulted in a score I feel is not reflective of my true abilities. A two-hour delay between entering the testing room and beginning the first section of the exam, without access to water or a restroom, caused me to become severely dehydrated as the exam progressed. The negative effects of dehydration on my performance is clearly evidenced by my results on the final section, which included more incorrect answers than the first three scored sections combined.
    I think that looks pretty good. I might even consider taking out the sentence: "The negative effects of dehydration on my performance is clearly evidenced by my results on the final section, which included more incorrect answers than the first three scored sections combined." To me it doesn't seem like good evidence. A lot of people miss more on RC than all other sections combined, for example.

Looks good though!
  • ethaaaanethaaaan Alum Member
    276 karma
    @Alejandro @"Alex Divine"
    Thanks for the additional feedback! I've added another sentence to the end to that affect.