Postponing from December to February 2017 - How to Study in the Two Months

himynameisjenhimynameisjen Member
in General 52 karma
Hi All!

I've already sent in my applications for the September 2017 class and I originally expected to write the LSAT in December but I've decided to postpone until February. I don't like where I'm scoring if I want to have a really good chance of getting into the top schools in Canada.

All the schools I've applied to will accept the February LSAT for admission considerations for entry in September.

But my biggest issue is, how should I study to be effective in the two months that I have? I personally feel like I didn't learn the core curriculum well enough to have a good foundation when tackling the prep tests, but is it wise to go through it all again from the beginning? Will I have enough time? Or should I focus solely on prep tests?

I'm really aiming for a 165+ and currently scoring around 155-160 on timed prep tests.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2016 23929 karma
    @himynameisjen said:
    But my biggest issue is, how should I study to be effective in the two months that I have? I personally feel like I didn't learn the core curriculum well enough to have a good foundation when tackling the prep tests, but is it wise to go through it all again from the beginning? Will I have enough time? Or should I focus solely on prep tests?

I'm really aiming for a 165+ and currently scoring around 155-160 on timed prep tests.
    First, congrats on making a hard, but smart decision.

I don't know if 2 months is enough time to properly go through the entire CC, drill weaknesses, and take PTS. It is possible though...But if you're scoring around a ~160, I don't think that is where your time is best spent. What is your BR average?

Where do your weaknesses lie now? How many PTs have you done?

If you don't feel like you learned the CC well enough, it might be worth going through it again. My thinking is perhaps you can re-visit the lessons that are giving you trouble or that you didn't understand the first time through. I think what you're feeling is actually quite normal. During your PT/BR phase of prep, you should be returning to the CC often to revise lessons and drill your weaknesses in between PTs.

• himynameisjenhimynameisjen Member
    52 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    What is your BR average?

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

When I BR it's about 161. I've noticed my weaknesses are definitely:

1. Getting past the anxious feeling when I know I'm being timed.
    2. SA/Flaw questions. I tend to get a lot of these questions wrong, even though I've drilled questions sets and watched JY's video explanations. I'm just not sure what it is that I'm not understanding.

But I think you're right, that I should probably revisit the curriculum for the certain sections that I'm still not understanding instead of doing it all over again.
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    During your PT/BR phase of prep, you should be returning to the CC often to revise lessons and drill your weaknesses in between PTs.
    Sound advice indeed.

Also, a Sage reminded me yesterday that the Analytics will tell us where our weaknesses are, and where our focus should be. Fully utilizing Analytics does the guesswork for us.

Hope this helps!
    52 karma
    @ScooterMinion said:
    Fully utilizing Analytics does the guesswork for us.

Thank you for the reminder as well. :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Based on your BR score, I think you probably are going to need to spend a lot of time in the curriculum actually. First metric to look for is to increase your BR score. If you're BRing at 161, there's no way you're going to break 165 under time. BR more intensively than what you've been doing, then analyze each PT/BR and use that to determine exactly where in the curriculum you need to return. You've got to do the curriculum if your timed score is that close to your BR score, you just need to take a targeted approach because of your time constraints.
    52 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    BR more intensively than what you've been doing, then analyze each PT/BR and use that to determine exactly where in the curriculum you need to return
    Thank you! That's pretty much what I've decided on. I don't have any major commitments over the next two months (as I've taken a leave until my exam from my full time job, which was my biggest obstacle towards finding time to study intensely) so I'll definitely have more time to be able to review and practice than previously.
    27822 karma
    @himynameisjen said:
    That's pretty much what I've decided on. I don't have any major commitments over the next two months (as I've taken a leave until my exam from my full time job, which was my biggest obstacle towards finding time to study intensely) so I'll definitely have more time to be able to review and practice than previously.
    Excellent! Make the most of your leave from work. Being able to study full time is an enormous benefit!
  • Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" She needs Phase 2 Josh!! #Goldenadvise! :D
    52 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Excellent! Make the most of your leave from work.
    Will do, thank you! :)
    27822 karma
    @"Heart Shaped Box" said:
    She needs Phase 2 Josh!! #Goldenadvise! :D
    Haha, indeed! Glad you've found that helpful. Webinar coming soon!