JD/MBA hopefuls - GMAT Prep Course recommendations?

annaantonova1009annaantonova1009 Alum Member
in General 76 karma
Folks, I am finally done with the LSAT!!! But that means I need to shift gears and start to focus on the second part of my JD/MBA application - the GMAT. What courses do people recommend? Are there any good free resources out there?

I haven't done a ton of research yet since I was really focused on the LSAT and I've only heard of Manhattan GMAT. ANybody has any thoughts on this company? Are there better courses/resources out there?

Thank you for any insight!

Comments

• potatocowpowerpotatocowpower Free Trial Member
    148 karma
    I've taken both exams: 174, 178 and 770 for the GMAT and the GMAT was many orders of magnitude easier for me. No official prep courses, I just read the OG for stuff I didn't know/forgot and did the free prep software offered by GMAC of 2 PTs twice. Took me about a week in total. I believe you can take some random sample questions without wasting your actual free PTs to see where you are before you decide to go crazy with purchasing of materials.

The LSAT took 3 months of full-time study first time round and another 3 the 2nd time round. It also involved lots of anger and frustration. Also there isn't the restriction on takes in a 2 year period but the general consensus is to keep it under 5?
  • LSATman1LSATman1 Alum Member
    386 karma
    I used the Economist's GMAT prep and recommend it. The entire course is adaptive, so it is tailored to your strengths and weaknesses.
  • annaantonova1009annaantonova1009 Alum Member
    76 karma
    thanks @potatocowpower . I'm sorry I am a total GMAT newb and just learning the terminology - what's OG?

I am also thinking the GMAT will be easier, which is why I decided to tackle it after the LSAT and I know there are more administrations of it which gives you more flexibility. However, not sure it will come as easy for me as these test have come to you. I definitely am not scoring close to 174 on the LSAT (we'll see how Dec '16 went, but probably not 174) and it took me much longer than 3 months to get ready for it. I think i might need a real refresher on the math stuff.
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    Actually considering that myself. GMAT does look easier if you have a strong quantitative background, so that's comforting to hear. Dang @potatocowpower, those scores are def my best case hopes, so you're looking good from my pov. Curious, what's your background?
  • potatocowpowerpotatocowpower Free Trial Member
    edited December 2016 148 karma
    @Q.E.D educationally? I didn't take precalc and calculus before dropping out of high school. Finished high school and learned math through khanacademy during college in order to complete a degree in economics

GMAT matters way less than the LSAT for admissions and the actual level of math required I would say is high school level? But there is a different element of problem solving and decision making involved, you don't get to come back to questions oftentimes spending 2minutes and guessing 50 50 is better than 5 minutes to definitively answer it. Spending too long on a difficult question might mean not enough time for an easy question you would definitely get right

@annaantonova1009 original guide. I believe there were like cheat sheets of what you were supposed to know for each section in terms of formulas and properties of stuff like integers and factorial that you learnt but forgot

You should have a look at the raw scaled conversions and a couple of practice questions.

I think its alot less intimidating when you think of whatever score you need as getting the easiest questions right and getting to 50 50 or one in 3 on the hardest ones

• Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    autodidacts man