Ontario Law Schools - LSAT Information

mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
edited January 2017 in Law School Admissions 631 karma
Hey guys,

To those who have been confused about the evaluation process around writing Dec (or previous LSAT) and potentially writing Feb (or future LSAT), I may have some answers for you.

Personally, I just wrote the December exam. But, I have indicated on OLSAS (Ontario Law School Application Service) that I will also be writing in Feb. I see it purely as another chance to improve my mark, whatever that may be, from the Dec. exam. If I am set on fall 2017 admissions, it won't hurt to try and get a higher mark, and let's face it, there is always room for a higher mark.

My dilemma was this: I would hate to be rejected on the basis of my Dec. score when I might be able to improve for Feb. I worried that schools may open my app prior to Feb, and base their decision solely on my Dec. score b/c my application would be considered complete. (Ottawa... you suck)
On the other hand, I would also hate to miss the opportunity to be accepted if my app is not evaluated until late Feb. That is, if the schools see that my application is "complete" but that I have indicated I will be writing in Feb, they may put my app on hold and therefore, not make any decision until early March.

WELL folks, if anyone was in this boat, which I know some of you were... I hope the following info on ONTARIO law schools helps. Here are the answers I obtained after calling the following schools:

1) Ottawa University - Application evaluated once opened. If there is a previous LSAT score on file, they will NOT consider future plans to re-write, even if indicated on OLSAS. (e.g. Feb. exam). ... BOO!

2) Western University - If you have a previous strong mark and they are happy with the rest of your app, they will not wait until Feb. Admission will be offered. If mark on file not strong, they will hold off and re-evaluate once Feb. mark comes in.

3) Osgoode Hall - Same as above. If you have a previous strong mark and they are happy with the rest of your app, they will not wait until Feb. Admission will be offered. If mark on file not strong, they will hold off and re-evaluate once Feb. mark comes in.

4) Queens - Left emails, voicemails. Away for holidays.
*Update* - "We will not decline applicants, based on LSAT, until after the February results. If a new score is posted that make you competitive, you will be considered then."

5) UofT - Left emails, voicemails. Away for holidays.
*Update* - Application put on HOLD if indicated on OLSAS that you are writing at a later date.

6) Windsor - Left email. --- *EDIT* @LSAT04164 has advised Windsor does not accept Feb scores. December last date accepted.

*Did not apply to Thunder Bay.

Comments

• mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    @DEC_LSAT & @jaybee88 ... here you go!
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    Thank you @mcmlaw36 . i literally just messaged you too haha
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Hey, this is really helpful! I moved it to the Law School Admissions section so people who're looking for the same information don't have to wade through a ton of general chat jargon. :)
  • JaclynwwwwJaclynwwww Alum Member
    17 karma
    Thanks! really helpful to know! I have been wondering about the same thing after the Dec exam.
    631 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    I moved it to the Law School Admissions section so people who're looking for the same information don't have to wade through a ton of general chat jargon. :)
    Thanks Dillon!
    @Jaclynwwww said:
    Thanks! really helpful to know!
    Good! I'm glad it was helpful. If you have any other questions, feel free to inbox me :)
  • amedley88amedley88 Alum Member
    378 karma
    Thank you!
    631 karma
    @amedley88 said:
    Thank you!
    :) :)
  • LSAT04164LSAT04164 Alum Member
    127 karma
    @mcmlaw36 said:
    6) Windsor - Left email.
    Windsor does not take the February LSAT score. December is their last eligible date.
    edited December 2016 631 karma
    @LSAT04164 said:
    Windsor does not take the February LSAT score. December is their last eligible date.
    Thanks for this.

With that said, those interested in Windsor should also be advised that this school is historically known to accept scores in the low 150's +.
    edited January 2017 631 karma
    @DEC_LSAT
    @jaybee88
    @amedley88
    @Jaclynwwww
    @LSAT04164

Updated Queens/UofT responses if any of you are interested.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    Thanks! @mcmlaw36
  • lianaf92lianaf92 Member
    99 karma
    Hi @mcmlaw36, how did you indicate on OLSAS that you are writing again in Feb? I've been calling OLSAS all day and no one is answering. I've been reading on forums to indicate it on SAM, but I see no option for the LSAT. Thanks!!
    Hey, I can walk you through it :) I contacted OLSAS a week ago and the lady on the phone did that for me. Let me pull up my OLSAS. @lianaf92
    I'm pretty sure you login, click on the category "LSAT" on the left hand side, click change, and add the February date in. Save and continue. Go through to the final "Review and Submit" stage of the app and click submit.

This will change your app to reflect the future write date, although I can't recall how long it takes to do so. As long as you submit, they will update it on their end.

I didn't have to do anything with SAM. @lianaf92
  • lianaf92lianaf92 Member
    99 karma
    Thanks!!!
    631 karma
    @lianaf92 said:
    Thanks!!!
    No problem!