Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does an absence count against the three test policy?

texvd1988texvd1988 Member
in General 605 karma
The question above, and do law schools care if you have an absence? I had mine three years ago.

Also, how often do tests cycle out? My last test score was in February of 2013 and December of 2012 was my absence. Am I clear and have three retakes?

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    Yes it does count as one of your three administrations. The rule is three administrations per two year time period. I'm not entirely sure how they cycle though.

As for law schools consideration in regards to the absence, sure it could potentially be looked at negatively because in all reality you have until midnight the night before the test to cancel but I don't think it's anything a simple addendum explanation wouldn't take care. I can think of a million reasons to miss the administration, there could have been a storm the night before hand causing your power to go out and your cell phone not to go off, your car could have broken down, a swat team in your neighborhood could have been carrying out a raid of drug dealers house next door and refused to let anyone leave the area. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you write the addendum.

Good Luck!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2016 23929 karma
    If those dates are accurate, you are clear and have 3 takes again! Don't waste them ;)
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    @jknauf said:
    As for law schools consideration in regards to the absence, sure it could potentially be looked at negatively because in all reality you have until midnight the night before the test to cancel but I don't think it's anything a simple addendum explanation wouldn't take care. I can think of a million reasons to miss the administration, there could have been a storm the night before hand causing your power to go out and your cell phone not to go off, your car could have broken down, a swat team in your neighborhood could have been carrying out a raid of drug dealers house next door and refused to let anyone leave the area. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you write the addendum.

I see. So you think an addendum is necessary even though it was a one time absence? I thought if it was a habit, then I should make something of it. Fair enough. I will add that in. Thank you!
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    This is correct. If those dates are accurate, you are clear and have 3 takes again! Don't waste them ;)
    Great! They are. I just triple checked. This is good news.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited December 2016 11542 karma
    I'm pretty sure an absence doesn't count towards your three takes. A cancellation counts however.
    Anyway, an absence can be easily explained in a quick addendum and you're definitely in the clear to take the LSAT three more times given you've surpassed the two year limit. Let's hope you only need it once more, though. :)
    1741 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    I'm pretty sure an absence doesn't count towards your three takes. A cancellation counts however.
    "Normally, you may not take the LSAT more than three times in any two-year period. This policy applies even if you cancel your score or it is not otherwise reported. LSAC reserves the right to withdraw your registration, rescind your admission ticket, or take any other steps necessary to enforce this policy."

http://www.lsac.org/jd/help/faqs-lsat
    @vduran1988 said:
    I see. So you think an addendum is necessary even though it was a one time absence? I thought if it was a habit, then I should make something of it. Fair enough. I will add that in. Thank you!
    I'm not sure it's 'necessary' but rather recommended, you know? Any discrepancy which could be viewed unfavorably is probably worthy of an explanation.
    11542 karma
    @jknauf said:
    "Normally, you may not take the LSAT more than three times in any two-year period. This policy applies even if you cancel your score or it is not otherwise reported. LSAC reserves the right to withdraw your registration, rescind your admission ticket, or take any other steps necessary to enforce this policy."
    This is only applicable to one who physically shows up to take the test. So let's say you show up and cancel before even looking at question number 1, it will count as a take. Absences aren't factored and are not reportable.
    1741 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    This is only applicable to one who physically shows up to take the test. So let's say you show up and cancel before even looking at question number 1, it will count as a take. Absences aren't factored and are not reportable.
    Interesting, I was assuming the part which said 'otherwise not reported' would encompass an absence. Do you have the link to where you are reading this?
    11542 karma
    @jknauf said:
    I'm not sure it's 'necessary' but rather recommended, you know? Any discrepancy which could be viewed unfavorably is probably worthy of an explanation.
    Agreed.
    edited December 2016 11542 karma
    @jknauf said:
    Interesting, I was assuming the part which said 'otherwise not reported' would encompass an absence. Do you have the link to where you are reading this?
    Yeah, I could see the confusion. I don't have a link but I've discussed this with LSAC before.

EDIT: I found this link for what it's worth:
    https://blueprintlsat.com/lsatblog/lsat/cancelling-the-lsat-vs-taking-an-absence/
    1741 karma
    @montaha.rizeq Excellent! I'll take your word for it :)
  • 7sage lsat forum7sage lsat forum Free Trial Member
    10 karma
    An absence does NOT count towards your three takes!!!! An absence is different than a cancellation!