Application - Traffic Offenses Question

jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
edited December 2016 in General 822 karma
Hey everyone!

As I am closing in on getting my application finished 100%, I am hung up on one of my apps' Character and Fitness section. So this is what I'm dealing with:

"Have you EVER IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE been arrested, charged, convicted, warned, taken into custody, or accused, formally or informally, of the violation of a law for any offense, including, without limitation all traffic offenses {e.g. DUI/DWI offenses, speeding, improper equipment, expired registration or inspection tags, failure to maintain proof of insurance, failure to wear a seat belt, etc.}? You may NOT omit offenses that were dropped, dismissed or reduced. But you may omit (i) offenses that were either expunged or sealed and (ii) parking violations. Even if you perceive a matter to have been minor or to have happened a long time ago, you MUST disclose the information."

So I had a minor speeding ticket over three years ago for which I went to court and it was reduced to defective equipment and I paid a small fee for everything. I received my DMV driving record yesterday and this isn't even on there anymore (VA records). The section asks to disclose everything (in writing), including official copies of both original charge or citation (don't have that anymore) including any reduced charges or lesser included offenses.....

I am so confused. Should I go ahead and just mention the speeding ticket that was reduced to defective equipment sometimes early 2013, and also mention that this is no longer on my record and I therefore have no paperwork to show except for my certified driving record. Or somehow try to obtain that original charge (where do I even start????) and some kind of court documents from the day I went to court??

Thanks for helping me through this mess!!

Comments

• AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    edited December 2016 2424 karma
    Just disclose by laying out the facts of the situation. I doubt something like that will hurt your application. You don't need copies of the charges though, don't worry about that. Just a short and to the point addendum.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    when in doubt, err on the side of full disclosure :)
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    edited December 2016 822 karma
    @Alejandro thank you! That's pretty much what I'm thinking! I guess I can go ahead and disclose what happened, and let them know that I will attach my certified driving record in which they will not see those charges because they were dismissed (minor traffic violations in VA are dismissed from driving records after 3 years).

I guess if they need anything beyond that, they could contact me and let me know? They wouldn't just dismiss my app because of something so stupid?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Yeah, I've got several traffic tickets that are not showing up on any of my state or local reports. I just said something like, "My certified driving record issued by [state/local departments of whatever] reports that I have 0 citations on my record, however, to the best of my recollection I have been ticketed for the following: etc

Something like that. Even though it was reduced, you were still cited for speeding, so the wording of the prompt suggests that you would need to report that. You should mention the reduction in the explanation.
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Thank you, this is very helpful! I will go ahead and do that!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2016 23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Yeah, I've got several traffic tickets that are not showing up on any of my state or local reports. I just said something like, "My certified driving record issued by [state/local departments of whatever] reports that I have 0 citations on my record, however, to the best of my recollection I have been ticketed for the following: etc
    I think I'm going to have to do this. I have a couple seatbelt tickets back from 2008 when I first got my license and they don't show up on my record anymore.