PT30.S4.Q15 - it is not good for a university

Giant PandaGiant Panda Alum Member
edited January 2017 in Logical Reasoning 274 karma
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-30-section-4-question-15/

Hi guys,

Is there an error in this question? There is a historical LSAT question that I am...disagreeing with: PT30-S4-Q15. PSA.

The question, rewrote, consists of:
P1: Too large or too small of class size is bad.
P2: Very light or very heavy faculty work load is also bad
C: Crowded classes and overworked faculties are bad.

In general, I feel the argument's conclusion is valid. "Large class size", reference to "crowded classes" ,and "heavy faculty workload", reference to "overworked faculties", are both bad.

What is wrong with just taking 50% from each premise and concluding something from it?

However, above this, I see another gating point, which is the answer.

The correct answer is "very small class sizes or very light workload" are also bad. While, I feel that, in order to arrive at this premise as a needed one, we need to have something like "if the school's both class room and faculty workload is at medium level, then it is good". Right?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Panda

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Bumping so more people can see this.
  • stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma
    @"Giant Panda" said:
    The question, rewrote, consists of:
    P1: Too large or too small of class size is bad.
    P2: Very light or very heavy faculty work load is also bad
    C: Crowded classes and overworked faculties are bad.
    I believe that the conclusion is actually the first sentence - it's not good to have classes that are too small or too large, or to have professors that have teaching loads that are too light or too heavy.

The support provided is the other sentence, which only addresses why overcrowded classes/overworked professors is bad.

The premise doesn't discuss why too small/too light loads are bad. (C) talks about why they are bad, so it helps support the conclusion.