LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
edited February 2018 in General 1028 karma

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

My diagnostic was a 151. I scored 157 on my first take. I took a year to study, and before the Sept 2017 test my PT average was 170. I scored a 163 on the September 2017 test. I decided to retake for a third time, this time I went in much calmer and stuck to my strategies. I scored a 171 on the December 2017 test.

The biggest difference between Sept 2017 and Dec 2017? mindset. I was not nervous, I knew that it was just another test. I was confident in my abilities. I was calm and stuck to what I know works for me. I attribute the 8 point gain to mentality and not being burnt out.

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    edited January 2018 328 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    The biggest difference between Sept 2017 and Dec 2017? mindset. I was not nervous, I knew that it was just another test. I was confident in my abilities. I was calm and stuck to what I know works for me. I attribute the 8 point gain to mentality and not being burnt out.

I remember something you posted a day before the Dec test about having confidence in you abilities. Something where you said you've seen difficult section after difficult section, scored within your goal range multiple times. Adopting that mindset, and taking it with me inside the testing center, really helped me stay calm, and improve. This is tcr. That and not burning yourself yourself into the ground the week of the test.

@BagelBiter, I underscored my PT average by 6.5 on my first take, and beat my new average for the second take. My nerves were better, mostly due to adopting @LSATcantwin mindset. Make sure your testing strategies are solid, and representative of the test day conditions. Research different testing centers in your area and try to sign up for a smaller/better one. Relax during the couple days before the test (the actual number of days to take off will differ for everyone though). Try to get a good night's sleep the day before. Utilize positive thinking both right before the test and during it. That's all you can do. Good luck!

13286 karma

@pioneer321 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

I remember something you posted a day before the Dec test about being confidence in you abilities. Something where you said you've seen difficult section after difficult section, scored within your goal range multiple times. Adopting that mindset, and taking it with me inside the testing center, really helped me stay calm, and improve. This is tcr. That and not burning yourself yourself into the ground the week of the test.

@BagelBiter, I underscored my PT average by 6.5 on my first take, and beat my new average for the second take. My nerves were better, mostly due to adopting @LSATcantwin mindset. Make sure your testing strategies are solid, and representative of the test day conditions. Research different testing centers in your area and try to sign up for a smaller/better one. Relax during the couple days before the test (the actual number of days to take off will differ for everyone though). Try to get a good night's sleep the day before. Utilize positive thinking both right before the test and during it. That's all you can do. Good luck!

Hey! Glad it worked out for you as well. I really use to think mindset was nothing, but man was I wrong. I've also seen countless posts of people who did better once they were able to beat their nerves!

• edited January 2018 93 karma

Hey there - my diagnostic was a 159, and after preparing for about 3 months, I took my first LSAT in September last year. I scored in the mid 160s, and I retook the LSAT in December last year. I was much calmer and I scored a 175 on that retake. Confidence is key - I remembered panicking during the September LSAT for the logic games section (it was my first section) and it felt incredibly difficult. Second time round, I panicked a little for the logic games section as well, but I had a sense of deja vu and I eventually finished the section with 5 minutes to go.

Bottom line - you can do it!

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    My diagnostic was a 151. I scored 157 on my first take. I took a year to study, and before the Sept 2017 test my PT average was 170. I scored a 163 on the September 2017 test. I decided to retake for a third time, this time I went in much calmer and stuck to my strategies. I scored a 171 on the December 2017 test.

Hey man, congrats on your awesome score! You deserve it!
    I was wondering how many total hours you've put into this test??

13286 karma

@BrianSeo said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Hey man, congrats on your awesome score! You deserve it!
    I was wondering how many total hours you've put into this test??

Gross amounts, like 20 hours a week for 5-6 months. I also was enrolled in the Testmaster course for 3 months which adds even more. Basically all I did was study in my free time. It sucked, but was well worth it. It was basically a part time job to me....