Résumé gap - 1 year - serious problem?

pasu1223pasu1223 Alum Member
in General 109 karma

Hello,

Does anyone know how seriously admissions considers gaps in your résumé when applying to law school?

I'm a recent graduate of my state school CU Boulder (May 2016). I was very involved in school, business fraternity, founded a social fraternity, student government, business case competitions, internships, and side jobs; I graduated with a 3.6 with a double in Finance, Accounting, and minor in Philosophy. Then I worked as an analyst for a management consulting firm in the energy industry for buying/selling power plants.

I had the job for a year, but quit because I wanted more time to study for the LSAT.

If I worked the job for a year and quit in August 2017 and apply to law school in September 2018; how much will admissions consider this one year gap in terms of my résumé? Is this a serious problem if I don't fill the gap between now and September?

Thank you for any advice!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@pasu1223 said:
    Hello,

Does anyone know how seriously admissions considers gaps in your résumé when applying to law school?

I'm a recent graduate of my state school CU Boulder (May 2016). I was very involved in school, business fraternity, founded a social fraternity, student government, business case competitions, internships, and side jobs; I graduated with a 3.6 with a double in Finance, Accounting, and minor in Philosophy. Then I worked as an analyst for a management consulting firm in the energy industry for buying/selling power plants.

I had the job for a year, but quit because I wanted more time to study for the LSAT.

If I worked the job for a year and quit in August 2017 and apply to law school in September 2018; how much will admissions consider this one year gap in terms of my résumé? Is this a serious problem if I don't fill the gap between now and September?

Thank you for any advice!

I don't think it will keep you out of anywhere that your numbers/other softs would get you into. Law school admissions places such heavy emphasis on numbers that a resume gap really isn't that big of a deal. I'm no expert but I know of way too many people who were admitted to top schools with large gaps to think it's going to negatively affect your cycle. It's only anecdata but at least it's something...

You may just want to address the gap in an addenda/interview. Better yet, get a PT job or volunteer so at least you can put something.

The exceptions may be schools like HYS or Northwestern. All known to value work experience a bit more than other schools.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I don't know that it will keep you from being accepted, but yes that is a large enough gap that you will need to address it. They will want to know what you were doing with your time. Volunteering, working part time, studying, etc. I highly recommend you have volunteering or part time work at least to fill that in. Something to tell them you weren't sitting around playing video games for 9 months, ya know? They want to know your work ethic, but it doesn't have to be traditional work.

• pasu1223pasu1223 Alum Member
    109 karma

Thank you very much for the reply, Alex, it was very helpful! I'm not really considering HYS or Northwestern so that is good to know. If I can get into UT Austin that would pretty much be my dream school.

109 karma

@"Leah M B" if I do get some part time work or volunteer some do you think it would still need to be addressed because it is not full time work? Also thanks for the help!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@pasu1223 said:
    @"Leah M B" if I do get some part time work or volunteer some do you think it would still need to be addressed because it is not full time work? Also thanks for the help!

I think so, but it could be a really short note that you were studying for the LSAT while working part time. Or if you don't mention it, it will likely be brought up in interviews. The work or volunteering will look better than having nothing there though, either way.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Volunteer on a PT basis if it's financially OK.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@pasu1223 said:
    Thank you very much for the reply, Alex, it was very helpful! I'm not really considering HYS or Northwestern so that is good to know. If I can get into UT Austin that would pretty much be my dream school.

No problem, dude.

Yeah, you should be completely fine at UT Austin. Again, they may ask you to address it in an interview or in an addenda (not too familiar with their app process), but studying for the LSAT and achieving the score you need is more important. It's pretty clear most law schools don't put that much emphasis on work experience unless it's rare/prestigious/relevant. Just have an explanation ready to go and you'll be a UT Austin Law alum before you know it :)

See if you can volunteer at a local place just to have something. It doesn't even have to be more than a few hours here and there.

109 karma

@"Leah M B" Those are really good points. Thank you!

109 karma

@"Alex Divine" thanks man! All of this has been extremely helpful! Delaying a cycle is never planned so this has helped immensely in putting my mind somewhat at ease.

Yeah UT's process is a bit different. I visited and they said they might start implementing interviews. Not sure if they did this year but in the past it doesn't sound like they have.