Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Splitter odds at Scholarship

So I scored a 169 LSAT, but due to a really low GPA from a long time ago(2.8). My more recent academic GPA was a 3.3. Would I be in the running for heavy scholarships at schools with average LSAT of 157?

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Splitters have really difficult to predict scholarship cycles. Hop on lawschoolnumbers.com and see what people with similar stats have achieved. You'd be surprised. I'd apply anywhere you're LSAT is over the 75% and see what happens.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@klkForver said:
    So I scored a 169 LSAT, but due to a really low GPA from a long time ago(2.8). My more recent academic GPA was a 3.3. Would I be in the running for heavy scholarships at schools with average LSAT of 157?

Yeah you'd be in the running for scholarships for sure from a school with a 50%tile 157 score. Your GPA may be low, but many schools with low numbers can use you to boost their LSAT-%tiles

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

You will probably receive a near-full tuition scholarship, depending on the school. Lower ranked schools will salivate over your LSAT score.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    edited December 2017 3521 karma

I had a friend who had a ~2.9/177 and got a full ride from UVA.

I'm guessing you could get the same from a lesser-ranked school - somewhere where you are far above their 75th percentile LSAT.

• klkForverklkForver Member
    16 karma

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm applying to UNH, and if they give me a huge scholarship, I'll go there because it is highly ranked for patent law and gets top students there into the bigtime.

16 karma

One factor that is interesting is that I'm applying in January. My application is in, but I took the December LSAT's. It looks like UNH gave out all its big scholarships to people who applied really early:
    http://newhampshire.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants?order=asc&sort=status

• michaelrayhuertamichaelrayhuerta Alum Member
    11 karma

@klkForver said:
    One factor that is interesting is that I'm applying in January. My application is in, but I took the December LSAT's. It looks like UNH gave out all its big scholarships to people who applied really early:

Do you know, under the $$$ section on law school numbers, is that the award amount for the entire 3 years?

16 karma

@michaelrayhuerta said:

@klkForver said:

Do you know, under the $$$ section on law school numbers, is that the award amount for the entire 3 years?

Yes, and so far, it looks like anything over 100K goes to applications from October.

3197 karma

I'm currently at a 166 highest and low mid 3 GPA and have been averaging a 66-75% scholarships to the T20+ slightly better in the 30s and a Full to a State college in the 40s, that has a 163 75% 161%. I'm at the 75% or above median and below the 25% GPA at all of these schools. And according to LSN my numbers Fall right in line with others and in only one acception do I think my softs made any type of difference in money.

A few 7Sagers have been sub 3 and 170+ and received at least 50% to Full at T8s and up. Based on merit, not other programs.

I'm hoping to push to 170+ finally in Feb. Tonsee what else can happen.

I've yet to not be admitted and receive an offer that matches in LSN. So start there, compare your numbers and it's an accurate snapshot, at least from my experience.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@stepharizona said:
    I'm currently at a 166 highest and low mid 3 GPA and have been averaging a 66-75% scholarships to the T20+ slightly better in the 30s and a Full to a State college in the 40s, that has a 163 75% 161%. I'm at the 75% or above median and below the 25% GPA at all of these schools. And according to LSN my numbers Fall right in line with others and in only one acception do I think my softs made any type of difference in money.

A few 7Sagers have been sub 3 and 170+ and received at least 50% to Full at T8s and up. Based on merit, not other programs.

I'm hoping to push to 170+ finally in Feb. Tonsee what else can happen.

I've yet to not be admitted and receive an offer that matches in LSN. So start there, compare your numbers and it's an accurate snapshot, at least from my experience.

Your stats gave me hope since I'm pretty close to you. Hopes shattered when I looked your LSN profile. Your 'softs' are incredible!

3197 karma

Don't be shattered...

Stats are what really matter... for better or worse...

I can flat out tell you they haven't made a difference at scholarships... only the full ride may have been influenced... and that's a maybe.

16 karma

Nice to hear from you, stepharizona. One thing that has made me mildly pessimistic is the I sent my application to UNH on the 12th(I was late because my boss didn't write the rec sooner) and still haven't heard back. On lawschoolnumbers, most people heard pretty quickly. I've got lots more applications out there though.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@klkForver said:

@michaelrayhuerta said:

@klkForver said:

Yes, and so far, it looks like anything over 100K goes to applications from October.

This is false.

16 karma

Ok, so my admissions are in and I got $26,000 per year from one. I'm pretty happy about that because the school has a great job placement program.

• splitter_sagasplitter_saga Free Trial Member
    60 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

I'm guessing you could get the same from a lesser-ranked school - somewhere where you are far above their 75th percentile LSAT.

would you consider +3pts over the 75th "far above"?

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@splitter_saga I would!

3197 karma

@splitter_saga said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

would you consider +3pts over the 75th "far above"?

GPA seems to still be playing a role. I've yet to get another full ride, even from schools I'm +4 than. One thing for sure is LSN seems really reliable for knowing where you'll fall and where the cut offs are for $$$$ levels. I've yet to get an offer that didn't fall in line with what others had reported.