Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 questions stems that always confuse me..help?

"Which one of the following, if true, most justifies the above application of the principle?" - Is this Principle question or PSA?

"Which one of the following would be most useful to know in order to evaluate the argument?" - Sufficient Assumption? PSA?

These two appear on the later LSAT's and always give me pause and I'm not sure how to attack them...

Comments

• btsao650btsao650 Alum Member
    254 karma

The first stem is a principle question. It's simply asking you to make sure the example in the application mirrors the principle.

J.Y. gave the second stem its own category: Resolve/reconcile/explain. These kinds of questions actually appear frequently in the early LSATs too.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

@btsao650 said:

J.Y. gave the second stem its own category: Resolve/reconcile/explain. These kinds of questions actually appear frequently in the early LSATs too.

This is in my understanding incorrect. These questions are "evaluate" questions. PT 36--1-24 is an example of one. Our job on these questions is to ask the question that if answered to one extreme weakens the reasoning in the argument and if answered to the other extreme strengthens the reasoning in the argument. Mr. Ping says in the review of the question cited above that these are essentially combination weaken/strengthen questions. I agree to with this, from my experience with these questions. These questions are quite different from RRE questions.

David

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@ejplasteras said:
    "Which one of the following, if true, most justifies the above application of the principle?" - Is this Principle question or PSA?

"Which one of the following would be most useful to know in order to evaluate the argument?" - Sufficient Assumption? PSA?

These two appear on the later LSAT's and always give me pause and I'm not sure how to attack them...

Here are the links to JY's lesson on both principle questions

https://7sage.com/lesson/principle-questions-are-sa-questions-in-reverse/

• 20 karma

Thanks everyone! Appreciate all the help and clarity :)

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:

@btsao650 said:

This is in my understanding incorrect. These questions are "evaluate" questions. PT 36--1-24 is an example of one. Our job on these questions is to ask the question that if answered to one extreme weakens the reasoning in the argument and if answered to the other extreme strengthens the reasoning in the argument. Mr. Ping says in the review of the question cited above that these are essentially combination weaken/strengthen questions. I agree to with this, from my experience with these questions. These questions are quite different from RRE questions.

David

I agree with David. The second one is an “Evaluate” question!